New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - New iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jammers

Jammers is on a distinguished road

Once Steve has finished his Keynote next month I will be hoping to upgrade my current G5 iMac - 17 inch, 1 gig RAM 2ghz (ambient light sensor).

Now assuming no new iMac is coming ( I don't think there will be but you never know) I am a little stumped as to which one to buy. I want a larger screen so it will def be the 20 inch at least but I am liking the look of the 24 inch beast iMac as well.

However, I'd like some advice. Is the extra 4 inches worth all the extra cash? Is it worth the extra cash for the processor upgrade and is the graphics card good enough to power a 24 inch as well as my radeon currently powers my 17 inch.

Does the gig of RAM come on one or two sticks - I hope one as it will be much cheaper to upgrade it later on.

Thanks for the advice and anything else you can think of.

Jim
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

The answer to most of what your asking can be answered by visiting an Apple store and looking at the iMacs side by side. Also, if you go to the Apple OL store and look at the iMac specs your RAM question will be answered.
QUOTE Thanks
Jammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlike View Post
The answer to most of what your asking can be answered by visiting an Apple store and looking at the iMacs side by side. Also, if you go to the Apple OL store and look at the iMac specs your RAM question will be answered.
Cheers, thanks for the useful tips. :rolleyes:
QUOTE Thanks
jeffk27

jeffk27 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac, 2.0 core 2 duo, 4 GB Ram, 320 GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
Once Steve has finished his Keynote next month I will be hoping to upgrade my current G5 iMac - 17 inch, 1 gig RAM 2ghz (ambient light sensor).

Now assuming no new iMac is coming ( I don't think there will be but you never know) I am a little stumped as to which one to buy. I want a larger screen so it will def be the 20 inch at least but I am liking the look of the 24 inch beast iMac as well.

However, I'd like some advice. Is the extra 4 inches worth all the extra cash? Is it worth the extra cash for the processor upgrade and is the graphics card good enough to power a 24 inch as well as my radeon currently powers my 17 inch.

Does the gig of RAM come on one or two sticks - I hope one as it will be much cheaper to upgrade it later on.

Thanks for the advice and anything else you can think of.

Jim
Have you made it to an Apple store yet? I've been trying to decide between the 20" & 24" myself. The 24" is awesome. So is the 20", though. It's just a matter of choosing how much awesome you want in your life.
QUOTE Thanks
bob@pflueger.co

bob@pflueger.co will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24inch iMac

you know what's weird? At first it took some time getting used to this big screen...Now, I have to admit...I almost don't notice it anymore. Kind of like when you first got that 63" widescreen TV.
QUOTE Thanks
Jammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob@pflueger.co View Post
you know what's weird? At first it took some time getting used to this big screen...Now, I have to admit...I almost don't notice it anymore. Kind of like when you first got that 63" widescreen TV.
Do you think the 24 inch you have worth was the extra cash. I live only 20 mins from an Apple store so have seen them a few times but using one for 10 minutes is not like the advice you can recieve from someone who uses it day in and day out.
QUOTE Thanks
a1laserboy

a1laserboy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM

Once I'd seen the 20 and 24 next to eachother, there was no way I could buy the 20 inch. The 24 inch is also full HD resolution - 1920x1200. I don't know if the 20 inch is. All the screen space is actually useful.

I hate squinting at my Sony laptop 14inch widescreen now at work.
QUOTE Thanks
bob@pflueger.co

bob@pflueger.co will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24inch iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
Do you think the 24 inch you have worth was the extra cash. I live only 20 mins from an Apple store so have seen them a few times but using one for 10 minutes is not like the advice you can recieve from someone who uses it day in and day out.
Hi Jammers--Merry Christmas. I'll be honest with you....cash wasn't really an issue with buying the 24 inch so I cannot respond to your question. I always rationalize extra money, especially if I put it on a credit card!

I do love this computer though....it really is cool having such a big screen.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Top be honest, if you only got the 20" screen, you'd never think "Oh I wish the screen was just a little bit bigger". It is a very good size.
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

The 20" is a wonderful size! Be careful where you'll use your new imac because our 20" looks HUGE at our desk (waaaay bigger than in the store). We have an 8' 2 person work center in one of our bedrooms and the 20" is totally awesome and we were glad we didn't get any bigger (although I'm sure it would have been pretty cool too!) I agree with Alexis, we've never wished we got the bigger one. It's all personal preference though.
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Top me for a desktop computer like the iMac gertting the biggest and fastest machine you can will always end up being the right thing. I know when I finally purchased a 20" screen for my G5 I thought it was HUGE...now it looks small. So the exrtra 4" you're contemplating should be a no brainer IMO. Just my 2.
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

I hate to say it, but take a look at the surroundings your iMac will call home. If a 24" can fit in that area comfortably, do it. You might miss a few hundred $$$, but you won't miss it for long once you get using the big screen.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
SunsetRoadzter

SunsetRoadzter will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD

Go with the 24" iMac you won't regret the bigger screen trust me on that.

What is the distance between here and now anyway?:mac:

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why are there black boxes around everything I click on? | Graphics card upgrade »