New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac or G4 Powermac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Drew_Ty

Drew_Ty is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I am just wondering if it is worth the upgrade. My friend is selling his and I wanted everyone's opinion. The iMac in question is a G5 (iSight) 2.1Ghz released back in October 2005 with 1.5GB RAM. I currently have a a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.25 and I was looking for some benchmark comparisons because I do some intermediate work on FCP 4, but I wasn't able to be find a site that gave me a comparison. I am just wondering on opinions.
QUOTE Thanks
Drew_Ty

haha. Whoops. I meant I have a Dual 1.25 PowerMacG4 not G5
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i would have thought the imac is faster but the g4 is a lot more upgradeable because the side opens etc..
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

is that what you want?
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Great find, imacmatt09, I too would blindly take the iMac.

Sure, it's not as expandable, but frankly, the G4 is very old and god forbid will be unsupported sooner than one might expect... I have exactly that iMac released in Oct 2005 and I think it's an awesome machine and it has all that new macs have, excepting the processor. But with a G4, you'll be crwaling with the new apps and Leopard.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Drew_Ty

The overall feel that I am getting is to go for the iMac, so I have gone ahead and purchased it from my friend. I'll probably receive it up in another few days. I'm sad to say goodbye (not sad to say goodbye to the noiseof my MDD, haha) but I'll miss Garbonzo (that was his name), lol. I put it on sale today on eBay.

One quick question. I found that benchmark comparison but I was wondering what the AltiVec Carbon comparison meant?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading Memory Question? | Login Problems »