New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Dual G5 vs intel imac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christopherlee1

Hey everyone, I have very little experience with mac computer but I'm interested in purchasing one. I could not by any means afford a mac pro at this time but I am able to get a dual 2 ghz G5 for about the same price as an intel imac. I want a machine that will run fnal cut pro very well. Assuming they both have a gig of ram which would you say would be the better buy? Lets assume I will not need more than one monitor.

Thanks a bunch!
QUOTE Thanks
christopherlee1

???? :spook: :bushman: :yinyang: :radioacti :headphone :bone: :bomb: :dive:
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

PowerMac.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
christopherlee1

:black: Could you elaborate a bit more about why?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

The benchmarks would suggest otherwise.

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=38816

Looks like Intel is significantly stronger in most tests. C2D will be even better.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
christopherlee1

Ah, So that would seem to be a much better buy and a space saver. Any one else?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of

We're not speaking in terms of processor speeds, are we?

"which do you think would be the better buy?"

I chose PowerMac due to it's customization potential. Video card can be upgraded, RAM capacity is greater, HDDs can be swapped/added/replaced, PCI slots galore, all very easy to do. If you're going to run Final Cut, you're going to want as much RAM as you can get. iMacs max out at 2-3Gb depending on the model. Their video card is also pretty weak compared to some of the cards you can get for a PowerMac.

The largest hard drive you can get on an iMac is 500Gb (correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't check the newest ones), whereas with a PowerMac, you can have up to 1.5TB internal using SATA.

I stand by my "PowerMac" post.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I agree if you would to upgrade something down the road, but from a purely GUT performance standpoint, the Intel Macs are better, quite a bit better except where the Application is NOT Universal as yet.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95 View Post
We're not speaking in terms of processor speeds, are we?

"which do you think would be the better buy?"

I chose PowerMac due to it's customization potential. Video card can be upgraded, RAM capacity is greater, HDDs can be swapped/added/replaced, PCI slots galore, all very easy to do. If you're going to run Final Cut, you're going to want as much RAM as you can get. iMacs max out at 2-3Gb depending on the model. Their video card is also pretty weak compared to some of the cards you can get for a PowerMac.

The largest hard drive you can get on an iMac is 500Gb (correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't check the newest ones), whereas with a PowerMac, you can have up to 1.5TB internal using SATA.

I stand by my "PowerMac" post.

Fair enough and great points. It does depend on what the user is going to do with the machine. I agree that you get better upgrade potential.

The original poster said something about 2 machines being the same price, I assumed a 1.5TB HDD array is probbably not what he had in mind.

Anyway, a top end iMac gets you 3gigs of RAM, 750GB of HDD space, a 2.33ghz C2D (which will be a LOT faster than a twin G5, you get a nVidia 7600GT, which is pretty powerful.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

After spending a few minutes trying to spec out a PowerMac G5, I end up with a more powerful machine at a similar price, but then I have to price the monitor!

Zoolook's right, an iMac may be a better choice for you. Especially if you're going for the lower price point, rather than the customization. Plus, there's always Firewire externals if you run out of storage space!

QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

well what kind of editing are you doing. Alot of heavy final cut users have 4+ gigs of RAM and dual monitors.

the imac will be much faster though
http://www.macspeedzone.com/html/har...06/11-5b.shtml

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
christopherlee1

Thanks for all of your input! I would like to do some pretty heavy editing but at present I'm pretty new to final cut. I can always attach another monitor to the Imac as well if I need the dual capabilities. I will decide in a few days what to purchase.

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

Can you connect another monitor to the imac? I wonder if you can upgrade processors on the g5 like the g4?

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr g5 View Post
Can you connect another monitor to the imac? I wonder if you can upgrade processors on the g5 like the g4?
Yes you can add another moniter up to a 23" cinema display. No you cant upgrade processers. I think its possible to overclock them though.. Im not sure though..
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr g5 View Post
Yes, you can connect another monitor to the iMac.

You can't upgrade G5s as of yet, but you couldn't upgrade the G4s when they were relatively new, either. We'll have to wait and see if someone comes out with an upgrade kit.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quad G5 not booting | Running iMac off AQUOS @ 1080p? Oversan P.I.T.A.! »