New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Scanner Problem (Epson)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scoostraw

Please point me to a FAQ or prior thread if this has been asked a thousand times..

I borrowed a friend's Epson scanner a while back and used it with my Intel iMac. It worked fine. Now another friend has given me her Epson 1670 scanner (different model) and it will not work. I ran the install from the CD, and when I launch Epson Scan, I get "Epson Scan cannot be started. Please use the troubleshooting assistant.... "

What do I need to do here? Any help would be most appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

For what little help this maybe .There is an app on yout iMac called Image capture You could try launching that . I had a similar problem with an old HP scanner .HP wanted money for the drivers (I used my Laptop PC instead.....I hate HP (The XP drivers were free however not for MAC..made my blood boil still this is off topic sorry) Good luck

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107203
QUOTE Thanks
earltash

earltash is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram

I have to use Photoshop to get my scanner to work.
I then use Epson Twain 5 to make it scan.Email me at:
earltash@yahoo.com and I can email you back that software to try.

http://www.geocities.com/earltashjr/EARLTHEPEARL.HTML
QUOTE Thanks
scoostraw

Update:

Since I had (stupidly) installed the old sfotware that was on the CD that had come with the scanner originally, I attempted an "uninstall" by dragging anything in the APPS folder with "Epson" in it to Trash. Then I downloaded the most recent drivers from Epson's website. Still no go.

Anyway long story short, I called Epson. I need to do another step to do a complete "uninstall", which Epson is emailing me. In the interim, I launched Image Capture and the scanner works fine.

So I made a few scans and then decided to make some edits. When I launched Photoshop Elements 4.0 however, it crashed with a "Quit Unexpectedly" error. It seemed to get hung up during the "Building Twain Menu Items" portion.

So I re-installed Photoshop Elements. No help.

I did something to my machine and I do not know what it was. The error begins with:

Date/Time: 2006-12-08 07:07:31.751 -0600
OS Version: 10.4.8 (Build 8L2127)
Report Version: 4

Command: Photoshop Elements 4.0
Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0/Photoshop Elements 4.0.app/Contents/MacOS/Photoshop Elements 4.0
Parent: WindowServer [58]
Rosetta: Yes

Version: 4.0 (20060216.m.125) (4.0)

PID: 241
Thread: Unknown

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x69627261

and then continues with a further dump....

Can anyone help ?????
scoostraw
View Public Profile
Send a private message to scoostraw
Find More Posts by scoostraw
Add scoostraw to Your Buddy List
Big Mac
Addicted to MacNN

Report Abuse

Old Today, 12:58 PM
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
QUOTE Thanks
scoostraw

Hey it's fixed. I'll post here what happened in case this happens to someone else.

When I installed the Epson software, it used the Twain drivers. After that, OSX had Twain as a default. This confused Photoshop Elements and caused it to fail. When I called Adobe, they had me rename the Twain file - and presto - both the scanner and Photoshop are working.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I had the same issue with Photoshop and my epson scanner.

As soon as I installed the scanner, PS stopped working. I didn't notice this until quite some time later and spent absolutely ages looking for a solution.

I never put it together with the scanner, but when I deleted the twain file, it worked for me as well.
QUOTE Thanks
peter0013

peter0013 is on a distinguished road

I have the same %&#% problem. I tried to follow your good advices, but found that there is a lot of TWAIN-files. Wich ones? The Photoshop plugin TWAIN-files or the ones in Epson Scanner? Will Photoshop get the scanned images even if the plugins are deleted?

Peter
QUOTE Thanks
scoostraw

Peter,

This was the file for me:

Applications / Adobe Photoshop Elements4.0 / Plug-Ins / Import/Export / Twain.plugin

I just renamed Twain.plugin to ~Twain.plugin (put a tilde in front of it). That's all it took.

-- Ken
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« recommended iMac upgrades | rename first computer name »