New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G4 Vs G3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

applecrisp

applecrisp is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: G3 imac 500mhz and 266mhz, ipod mini

Hey I currently have a G3 500mhz Imac But I want to get a used tower would a G4 at 400mhz be faster than my G3 at 500mhz? The ram in both are equal and same with harddrvie space.
QUOTE Thanks
DrTom

Hello, I have a G3 500 iMac and a 450 G4 sawtooth tower (the first G4 tower made). The tower 'feels' quicker when zipping around the OS (I'm using 10.4, latest update) and surfing is faster. The graphics card in the tower is twice as good as the one in the iMac though!

Both machines had 1GB of RAM in.

If you were spending money getting the tower to replace the iMac, and not upgrade the tower, then your money may be better off going into RAM for the iMac? But I don't know what you are doing with it.

I'm sure some of the more experienced users here will be able to explain what I have just tried to say far better than I did!
QUOTE Thanks
applecrisp

applecrisp is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: G3 imac 500mhz and 266mhz, ipod mini

Hey thanks for the reply, Do you really think adding ram to the Imac is worth the money because I already have 512 and the max is 1024 and I belive the ram is about 100 ish dollars canadian where I can pick up a sawtooth at about 512 ram and 450 mhz for about 200. but anyways how do the sawtooths perform when encoding movies IE burning avi to DVD becasue my imac take about an average of 16 hours.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

A friend of mine used to have a Tangerine G3 imac @ 333mhz with 512mb ram in it.. It ran Tiger fairly well.. Anything more than Safari, MSN, and iTunes and it'd start to chug a bit..

I own a 400mhz G4 PowerMac tower, also with 512mb and if I compared them side-by-side, the PowerMac blew it out of the water. I can do quite the bit of multitasking, given what's in it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac G3 Wireless | Moving data from an older Mac »