New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G3 Blue & White Memory Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

snikro

snikro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11

I recently got a used Powermac G3 B & W. It has 4 slots for RAM on the motherboard, and when I got it it had three sticks, each 64mb, PC100 I believe. The fourth slot was free, and I found another memory stick I had. It is a 256mb PC133. I decided to try it, and the computer works great with it, but the thing is that the computer tells me that the new stick I put in is only 128mb instead of the 256 that it really is. Any ideas as to why this would be? Could it be because it's PC133 instead of PC100? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It's not the PC133, it's the Density of the chips. Your new Ram Stick has high density chips. Older systems like the G3 and even P2 and some P3 Intel boards would do the same thing with that Ram or not even count it at all.
QUOTE Thanks
snikro

snikro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11

So, does that mean I would have to buy older RAM, or just ones made specifically for my model?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikro View Post
So, does that mean I would have to buy older RAM, or just ones made specifically for my model?
Any PC100 should work. Also a lot of PC133 will also. New Egg for one used to list it as High Density if it was and might still. The only other thing to know is the G3 B&W will not work with 512 Meg Modules either. So any PC100 up to 256Megs should work and same with none HD PC133's. Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question regarding graphics | Refurbished iMac »