New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Buying a new IMac: timing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rusty

Rusty is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am planning on buying a new IMac soon and I'm wondering what you all might recommend as far as timing this purchase. I had thought that I would buy during the after xmas sales but then I would basically have last season's edition, so to speak and if I get it after new years I might pay more but I would at least have the more recent version of ILife, etc... And what about developments coming in the new year, i.e. Leopard...?

Opinions and advice are welcome, please and thank you.

Rusty
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

There will always be something "new" to wait for so I say just get it when you want to have it. Otherwise, you'll be waiting forever

If it makes you feel better, I just bought a new iMac 2 weeks ago...

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

The new core 2 duos just came out recently so there isnt going to be any major updates except lepord and who knows when that is coming out
QUOTE Thanks
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
There will always be something "new" to wait for so I say just get it when you want to have it. Otherwise, you'll be waiting forever

good point. thanks for the responses.

Rusty
QUOTE Thanks
guirigales

guirigales is on a distinguished road

I just got my 20" imac C2D and couldnt be happier.

Go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
omegastu

omegastu is on a distinguished road

I got a 20" iMac last week. They had a Black Friday sale of $101 off.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I'm planning a new iMac, too. But given that it's only a few weeks away, I'll wait to see what's announced at MacWorld before taking the plunge.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
papercut

papercut will become famous soon enough

I just ordered a 17" iMac from Amazon tonight. I know it's a low-end model but $825 after rebate was just too good to pass up.

There is always something just around the corner and you have to pull the trigger at some point.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Hello,

I am planning on buying a new IMac soon and I'm wondering what you all might recommend as far as timing this purchase. I had thought that I would buy during the after xmas sales but then I would basically have last season's edition, so to speak and if I get it after new years I might pay more but I would at least have the more recent version of ILife, etc... And what about developments coming in the new year, i.e. Leopard...?

Opinions and advice are welcome, please and thank you.

Rusty
there is no good timing.. every mac I have bought less than 3 months later something bigger and better came out.. same with my ipods.. just buy one

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Add another vote to the "Just Get It" club. :black:

Waiting for the next Expo or DevConf or something else is futile as there is always something else coming.

Just get it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Nate

Nate will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, 500GB Serial ATA, 256MB Video Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post

I agree, if you want something to be new, it will only be new for at the most a few months. And I just got my iMac yesterday so I think you should get one to! (THERE AWESOME!)

I am a MacMan! Go Mac! My favorite football teams are the Chargers and the Macs!

QUOTE Thanks
Rusty

alright, ya'll, I'll just get it as soon as I can get the best deal.

I'm pretty new to buying computers so I was wondering if there's some kind of strategy that I was unaware of. Apperently not!

Thanks everyone.

Rusty
QUOTE Thanks
Nate

Nate will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, 500GB Serial ATA, 256MB Video Ram

No problem, good luck on that buy! It will be a great computer!

I am a MacMan! Go Mac! My favorite football teams are the Chargers and the Macs!

QUOTE Thanks
stevescivic

stevescivic is on a distinguished road

I believe that the best time to buy is when you actually need a computer. If there isn't really a need for one then I wouldn't bother buying until absolutely necessary. Then at least you know that you waited it out as long as you could and possibly get the latest and greatest. I however, am extremely happy with my 20" imace C2D
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I'm even happier with my iMac 20" G5 :-) I bought it in November 2005, and Jan 20006 saw the Core Duo iMac - I wasn't unhappy though, coz lots of software was nowhere near Universal, and I needed that computer to tide me through christams vacation. It still runs superb (touch wood) and I wouldn'ttrade it for a Intel Mac just yet...

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Another question... | G4 400mhz upgrade to 733mhz »