New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - 500GB HD Recommendations

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nanobytes

I am planning on adding a 500GB internal drive to my Power Mac G5 / 2GHz Dual machine (Mac OS 10.4.8). It would either be use either as a boot or storage drive.

I have a Maxtor MaxLine 300GB (7V300F0) in the second bay but I want to replace the Maxtor 150 GB (boot drive) that originally came with the Power Mac.

I am looking at the following drives:
- Maxtor MaxLine 500 GB (7H500F0)
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 (WD5000KS)
- Western Digital RE2 (WD5000YS)

I am leaning towards the Caviar but it only has a 3 year warranty and no published MTBF information.

The RE2 has 5 year warranty but it has TLER, NQC.

What is TLER and NQC and do I really need them? I also read somewhere, something about needing to turn off TLER in a non-RAID environment. How is that done?

Thanks.

PS -- I have included below the links to the PDF spec sheets for the above drives as reference.

Maxtor MaxLine 500 GB
http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/...a_sheet_en.pdf

Western Digital Caviar SE16
http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2879-001144.pdf

Western Digital RE2
http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2879-701176.pdf
QUOTE Thanks
SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

I swear by Seagate hard drives. In servers, laptops, desktops, you name it; nobody touches their quality and reliability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148136

Your data is the most important part of your computer, and I refuse to rely on any other branded hard drives. Seagate drives also pack a standard 5 year warranty; no other SATA drive on the market can match that. I run Seagate drives in my iBook, PC laptop (HP nc4010), and PC desktop (Dell E521). I'm an IT manager for a mid-sized business and very rarely do I experience trouble with Seagate drives. Maxtor/WD/IBM/Hitachi/Fujitsu is another story. I have some 10 year old Seagate SCSI drives at work that are still running strong...

Edit: Also, NCQ will probably not work on the G5, so no worries.
QUOTE Thanks
New2Macs

New2Macs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6

I agree with poster before me. I just purchased a SEagate hard drive and it works like a charm. I have always used Seagate drives and never had a problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wd raptor drives for mac pro, is it ok? | (Quicksilver 2001) A bit noisy »