New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Power Mac G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Herm862001

Herm862001 is on a distinguished road

power mac g5
dual 2.2
1gb ram

i just replaced a bad power supply, now my computer fans are running very loud. before installing the new power supply the computer was ran quitely.

the firmware is up to date. reset the pram also.

any suggestions?
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Clearly something you have done has disturbed the fan control mechanism. Did you replace the power supply with an Apple (or Apple approved) part of the same model and number? Any chance that you failed to connect back up some temperature sensors? Any chance that you left cables etc. out of place inside the machine, disturbing air flow? If all else fails, you may need to take it in to the nearest Apple store for repair.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

my guess is maybe the wrong PSU
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

I second coach_z. It sounds like the power supply unit may be causing the loud noise.

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Herm862001

Herm862001 is on a distinguished road

i switched the processors & the fans came back to normal.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mini as a sever and god knows what else | My Lovely New iMac! (Pics Included) »