New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Mini as a sever and god knows what else

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Quruli

OK

I have a MBP and the HDD is nearly full, so I need an external HDD soon, my DVD player also just broke and it needs replacing too. I have just order 2x1GB stick for MBP so I will have 2x512MB of RAM sitting out.

So I am thinking of getting a mini to meet these needs, but I pretty much want to leave it on 24/7 downloading and as storage for my MBP. Is the Mac Mini suitable for my needs? or is it too good to be true?
QUOTE Thanks
Seraphic

Seraphic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.

Yup, it should do what you want it to do just fine :-)
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Why get a Mini for this? It sounds like all you need is a nice big external hard drive! You can pick up a good new firewire hard drive in the 250G to 500G size range for anywhere from $200-$350, and less if you manage to take advantage of all the great pre Christmas sales going on these days. The Mini, on the other hand, will run you $599 at minimum.

Wouldn't you be better served (pun intended!) to just forget about those memory sticks and get an external hard drive? You'll save money.

BTW, the mini ships with 5400 RPM drives, whereas most external hard drives usually ship with 7200 RPM drives. Hence, the external drive will be FASTER as well as less expensive.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Quruli

Yeah I see what your saying. I will lookiĄ into it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« audio line out - static in the speakers | Power Mac G5 »