USB Port expansion
    The short backstory is I acquired a G4 computer, with no system installed. So far what I can tell is everything is functioning, so far as the HD, RAM, CD drive, Zip drive. However, I can not boot from a CD to install a system as any keyboard I try to plug in (USB). This leads me to believe that the USB port is damaged, I was wondering since I have expansion slots open would I be able to get a PCI-USB slot card without needing to install any drivers? Just wondering if this would work at all. Otherwise any suggestions as to what I might try to get around the USB port problem I have would be appreciated. (The USB ports do show some power getting through... a mouse plugged in will light up, and I've gotten the keyboard to semi-function once.

New Jersey
    G4 933 quicksilver (2001) 1.5 gb ram, 300 gig hd. Macbok 2.0 duocore2 1 gb ram 13 inch white 120hd
    just about any usb pci card will work in the mac... ummm the cd ur trying to boot up is it a dvd or a cd. cause that makes a big differance.. i tryed installing osx10.3.9 and found out it was a dvd not a cd so it wouldnt boot. i ended up usin a universal cd osx 10.4 cd and it booted w out any problems... keyboard hmmmm good luck. but yea when u put in the pci ur goin to have to run the cd that comes with it to install it.... hope any of this helps.
    when it breaks just upgrade it.

Its a CD, its os 8.5. There is no system on the computer though and most USB PCI cards say they need a certain system to operate.

St. Somewhere
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    For what it is worth, I find that my USB keyboard is frequently quite dead after a boot. All I have to do to restore it to life is to unplug it, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. Perhaps you might try the same thing after you have powered up, to see if you can get it back to a functioning state. By the way, is it an Apple keyboard? Non Apple keyboards may be a problem with your particular computer?
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

On some Macs I had to use the following key combination to get the Mac to boot from the CD: CMD(apple key)-OPT-SHIFT-DELETE
    New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB

It is an apple keyboard, and I have tried the unplug thing... I got something to work once, then i got stupid and lost the progress. Another question would be, could I perhaps load a system from the zip drive (internal)? I know on my old mac Performa we could load from a disk utility floppy disk... didn't know if this zip drive might possibly work the same way.

It could possible that the G4 you have is not compatible with OS 8.5

Check out this link to see if the system you have will work with that version of the OS:
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

According to that, I believe it is not. Perhaps I can try our OS 9 or something from home now I guess. Thanks for that listing!

Thread Information