New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac ethernet active but not working...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

overdogart

I recently acquired an iMac flatscreen from a friend. He used it at home for internet access and photo storage. He was running 10.2.6. We wanted a clean OS/hard drive so we installed 10.2 from my original discs. No problems. However, when we connected an ethernet cable to the iMac we could not get the computer to recognize the connection. We updated the software to 10.2.8. Still nothing.

We pulled the ethernet cable out of my Power Book (which we know works) and put it in the iMac...nothing. Put the cable back in the Power Book...works fine. There is a hub between the modem and the computers and the hub recognizes the iMac when the cable is plugged into the hub AND when I open the network control panel on the iMac it has an ip address and an ethernet address assigned. Tried going straight out of the modem to the iMac...nothing.

Tried IE and Safari and they both return this error: "Could not open the page www... because the server www... could not be found."

We were even able to transfer files between the iMac and the Power Book using the ethernet, so the jack itself appears to be working fine but I can't figure out how to get the iMac to recognize the ethernet and use it to connect to the internet. On the "Network Port Config" panel, we have unchecked "internal modem" and "pptp" so the only option checked is the "built-in ethernet" and still nothing. Tried creating a new location and nothing.

It's almost like it's trying to use the airport or internal modem or something and ignoring the working ethernet connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a good one!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac Intel due2core &install OS DVD | Imac G3 Drive Change »