New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Older Imac powerpc 333... Can it run OS 10? What Ram?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

foodforthemoon7

foodforthemoon7 is on a distinguished road

Well, actually, according to Crucial, this Imac takes 144 pin Sodimm pc133, up to 256 mb in each slot. One of my questions is: will any ram that matches the following specs work, or does it need to be "Apple Specific"?

Next, assuming I get some more ram in this machine, will it run OS X??

Also, are there any web locations where used mac parts can be purchased? I don't want to put much into upgrading this machine, but am willing to spend a little less then 100.00 to make this machine nice. Would like to be able to get some ram, possibly a larger hard drive, and if it is upgradeable, maybe a little bit speedier cpu.... Are these things do-able? I work on PC's for a living, but have not much exposure to the Mac world. I am looking to get my fingers wet though.

All help appreciated!!:dive:
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

RAM is RAM, there is no such thing as "Apple Specific".
OS X should run nicely on that machine.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

The 333 iMac can use 512mb of ram. The second slot uses a smaller stick because of space under the cpu. Check here:http://macsales.com/

If you're going to install a larger drive, be advised this is one of those macs with the 8 gig limits. You have to partition the drive so that the first one is less than 8 gig and must install the system on this first partition.

This iMac will run anything up to and including Panther 10.3.x.

Used parts and upgrades? Google is your buddy

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
UnaClocker

UnaClocker is on a distinguished road

I put 10.3 on my iMac 350, it had 360megs of ram, and I could out-type the screen for some reason.. That was most of the reason I upgraded the board to a 500..
QUOTE Thanks
Sexy Patrol

Sexy Patrol is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: '09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB

I doubt you could run Tiger on it, since I've heard that it requires a lot more resources to run it. I had the original OS X running on my old Indigo iMac with only a 350MHz G3 processor, 7GB hard drive and 512MB of RAM. So it's feasible, you'll just have to hunt down an older version of OS X for it to work I would think.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

True, you cant use Tiger on the 333 because it requires Firewire, which the 333 doesn't have.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharing external drive? | Imac Temperatures »