New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Upgrade from mini to iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Hi. Around 18 months ago I bought a 1.25 40gb mini to try out the Mac. Having been well and truely hooked, when Leopard's launched (or a little while after, when some of the bugs have been ironed out) I'm intending to upgrade.

I was just wondering if anyone has traded up from a mini to an iMac. If so, how different - if at all - do you find it?

I do have the option to buy a high-spec mini as I did buy a 20-inch Cinema Display, but the iMacs have 7200rpm hdd, while the minis have 5400 units.

I could sell the ACD when I buy an iMac anyway. Or use it somewhere else.

Thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Cheers.

Martin

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Thats a tough one. If you already have a 20" Cinema display, you would essentially be paying again for a display if you bought an iMac, so it would seem that the high end mini would be a better choice. However, I would wait until the next mini upgrade occurs - alone among the Mac line now, the mini still has Core Duo chips vs. Core 2 Duo chips (about 40% faster, clock for clock). I expect to see an upgrade of the Mini any day now, for this very reason. Then I would get the fastest mini available at the time and "trick it out" (biggest fastest hard drive and at least 1 GB of RAM).

As it is, I am impressed all to heck with the Core Duo minis I have test driven at my local Apple Store. They are amazingly responsive. The mini is a wonderful little box. I wish I could find a reason to justify buying one myself! :-)

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac

You could always use dual displays. If you do a lot of work on the computer they are quite useful.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

That's not a bad idea, actually. As I type I have open two large Word documents, a text file, two browsers, Mail and Excel! And they're all stacked up one behind the other!
Attached Images
File Type: png Fullscreen_1.png (269.5 KB, 20 views)

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
fcgrabo

fcgrabo is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac G5 and a Mac mini. I use the mini in the garage during the warm months and the iMac in the house in the winter. I set them up side by side. Sometimes I'm on the iMac doing a backup or some some large file download or something. I use the mini in the meantime. Maybe you could find an alternative use for what you already have. The iMac is a bit faster and the display is wonderful.

I recommend you buy the iMac and keep the mini.

Adapt the Mac mini into an old radio case or VCR housing. Check the web and search for other possibilities for that fine machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Xmod - any owners with experience? | Intel Power Mac Kernel Panic »