New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New 20" imac humming?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adox

adox is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm a new member here and new to Macs so bear with me.

I got my imac a couple of weeks ago and everything has been great apart from one thing.I'm getting a humming from the unit which is like the sound of the harddrive spinning in the unit being transferred into the table that it is sitting on.When I tilt the base of the unit back or forward so it is not sitting flush on the table the humming stops! I presumed it was just the particular table that I had the imac on that may be sensitive to sound vibrations or something,but its the same in different locations.In fact as I'm typing I have a book under the base of the unit to reduce the humming noise.

Now its not hugely loud but it is annoying all the same.Is this normal or should I consider returning the unit?

Thanks in advance for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Could it be a resonance running through the foot of the machine? I don't have an iMac but assume the foot isn't attached when you receive one. Does the seating need adjustment?

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
adox

adox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin@martinsk View Post
Could it be a resonance running through the foot of the machine? I don't have an iMac but assume the foot isn't attached when you receive one. Does the seating need adjustment?
It is a resonace running through the base.The foot is already attached from out of the box and cant be adjusted as far as I can see.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Power Mac question | iSight adjustments possible for free? »