New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power On , Power Off, Sleep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WGI

WGI is on a distinguished road

What is the maximum number of hours the power should be left on, on a imac c2d and should the mac be put to sleep at night or turned off. I have been turning it off at night but maybe its better to just put it to sleep?
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

Macs were designed to be left on at all times. If you are power conservative then it would be best to put it to sleep.. And the occasional restart will help performance..
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

At the end of the day it doesn't matter. If you don't mind the few seconds it takes to boot in the morning, you may as well save power by shutting down. If there's something you particularly want to keep running, then leave it on overnight only when you actually need to.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Maintenance routines are set to run overnight, so some people leave their Mac on 24/7 so this is run. I installed Macaroni so maintenance routines are run when the screensaver's active. I sleep my Mac at night, wake it about 6.30am, initiate the screensaver (mine's set to come on when I put the mouse cursor in the bottom left corner of the screen) then go and make a cup of coffee. By the time I come back it's all done.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

There is one real benefit to putting your Mac to sleep vs. power on / power off. You have probably noticed that after you have loaded an app for the first time after a power on, all subsequent reloads of that app are MUCH faster, since part or all of it is still cached in RAM.

If you put your Mac to sleep each night and awaken it again each morning, you preserve this behavior and all your most used apps just "snap" into being when you start them anew. I love this incredibly fast response, and so I use the sleep/wake cycle on my Mac. About once a week I reboot just as a form of clean up.

That would be my recommendation - saves power AND delivers blazing fast start up times.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
menno

menno is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini 1.66Ghz 1GB RAM 60GB HD intel dual core

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
There is one real benefit to putting your Mac to sleep vs. power on / power off. You have probably noticed that after you have loaded an app for the first time after a power on, all subsequent reloads of that app are MUCH faster, since part or all of it is still cached in RAM.

If you put your Mac to sleep each night and awaken it again each morning, you preserve this behavior and all your most used apps just "snap" into being when you start them anew. I love this incredibly fast response, and so I use the sleep/wake cycle on my Mac. About once a week I reboot just as a form of clean up.

That would be my recommendation - saves power AND delivers blazing fast start up times.
I just got a mac mini a few days ago and was wondering about this feature, I always shut down my PC...thanks for the tip.
QUOTE Thanks
Jammers

Jammers is on a distinguished road

Yes sleep all the way although I find that a restart is useflu every 10 days or so as somethings do start to slow down.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Random Power Downs... | I killed my iMac! »