New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Original Imac running Panther ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

patriot

Hey everyone, just recieved as a gift, an original G-3 tangerine Imac, 333 mhtz, and 6 gig hard drive
as soon as i got it i installed the "Panther" disc's and wiped out the drive and attempted to install the new OS, however the install keeps hanging up on me, Ive attempted several times and it just wont complete, so i nstalled OS 9.2.2 and THAT had trouble installing, after repeated attempts and what appeared to be a hang up, i restarted without any disc and i guess the base system of OS 9 was installed, so now i'm thinking maybe my firmware needs to be updated, so i download from my other puter the believed firmwares, knowing if they're not needed it won't install, well the system says it doesnt need these firware updates......I know i've read about other people using OS X on these older Imacs, Am I doing something wrong ???
PLEASE someone help me.........

regards
Patriot.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
Hey everyone, just recieved as a gift, an original G-3 tangerine Imac, 333 mhtz, and 6 gig hard drive
as soon as i got it i installed the "Panther" disc's and wiped out the drive and attempted to install the new OS, however the install keeps hanging up on me, Ive attempted several times and it just wont complete, so i nstalled OS 9.2.2 and THAT had trouble installing, after repeated attempts and what appeared to be a hang up, i restarted without any disc and i guess the base system of OS 9 was installed, so now i'm thinking maybe my firmware needs to be updated, so i download from my other puter the believed firmwares, knowing if they're not needed it won't install, well the system says it doesnt need these firware updates......I know i've read about other people using OS X on these older Imacs, Am I doing something wrong ???
PLEASE someone help me.........

regards
Patriot.
I'm not sure if this would result in the problems that you're experiencing, but how much RAM does the machine have. Apple's site says that a minimum of 128 MB is required for Panther, but I would invest in the maximum (256 MB I believe) when trying to run OS X on that machine.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
I'm not sure if this would result in the problems that you're experiencing, but how much RAM does the machine have. Apple's site says that a minimum of 128 MB is required for Panther, but I would invest in the maximum (256 MB I believe) when trying to run OS X on that machine.
I'm sorry it's a 333 mhtz G-3, 256 ram, 6 gig drive
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
I'm sorry it's a 333 mhtz G-3, 256 ram, 6 gig drive
So have you confirmed what version of 9 is installed, and does it funtion correctly with 9 (I think 9 has the "About This Mac" feature to give basic specs like OS and memory)? If 9 is funtioning correctly, the only other advice or suggestion I can offer is to follow the directions found here and see if there is anything that helps. I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestions, but the only experience I have is with doing the installation on my G3 iBook.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
alfarero999

I have a iMac 266 Tangerine, I did upgrade my HD to Maxtor 40 Gb 7200 rpm and 320 Mb RAM. and upgrade the Firmware (version 1.2).
Im running Panther on it without problems..
check your firmware version..!
regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual channel IDEs in iMac 266? | Pculiar Boot Problem »