patriot
    Original Imac running Panther ??
    Hey everyone, just recieved as a gift, an original G-3 tangerine Imac, 333 mhtz, and 6 gig hard drive
    as soon as i got it i installed the "Panther" disc's and wiped out the drive and attempted to install the new OS, however the install keeps hanging up on me, Ive attempted several times and it just wont complete, so i nstalled OS 9.2.2 and THAT had trouble installing, after repeated attempts and what appeared to be a hang up, i restarted without any disc and i guess the base system of OS 9 was installed, so now i'm thinking maybe my firmware needs to be updated, so i download from my other puter the believed firmwares, knowing if they're not needed it won't install, well the system says it doesnt need these firware updates......I know i've read about other people using OS X on these older Imacs, Am I doing something wrong ???
    PLEASE someone help me.........

regards
    Patriot.

Original Imac running Panther  ??
    Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot
    Hey everyone, just recieved as a gift, an original G-3 tangerine Imac, 333 mhtz, and 6 gig hard drive
    as soon as i got it i installed the "Panther" disc's and wiped out the drive and attempted to install the new OS, however the install keeps hanging up on me, Ive attempted several times and it just wont complete, so i nstalled OS 9.2.2 and THAT had trouble installing, after repeated attempts and what appeared to be a hang up, i restarted without any disc and i guess the base system of OS 9 was installed, so now i'm thinking maybe my firmware needs to be updated, so i download from my other puter the believed firmwares, knowing if they're not needed it won't install, well the system says it doesnt need these firware updates......I know i've read about other people using OS X on these older Imacs, Am I doing something wrong ???
    PLEASE someone help me.........

regards
    Patriot.
    I'm not sure if this would result in the problems that you're experiencing, but how much RAM does the machine have. Apple's site says that a minimum of 128 MB is required for Panther, but I would invest in the maximum (256 MB I believe) when trying to run OS X on that machine.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    I'm not sure if this would result in the problems that you're experiencing, but how much RAM does the machine have. Apple's site says that a minimum of 128 MB is required for Panther, but I would invest in the maximum (256 MB I believe) when trying to run OS X on that machine.
    I'm sorry it's a 333 mhtz G-3, 256 ram, 6 gig drive

Original Imac running Panther  ??
    Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot
    I'm sorry it's a 333 mhtz G-3, 256 ram, 6 gig drive
    So have you confirmed what version of 9 is installed, and does it funtion correctly with 9 (I think 9 has the "About This Mac" feature to give basic specs like OS and memory)? If 9 is funtioning correctly, the only other advice or suggestion I can offer is to follow the directions found here and see if there is anything that helps. I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestions, but the only experience I have is with doing the installation on my G3 iBook.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

alfarero999
    firmware
    I have a iMac 266 Tangerine, I did upgrade my HD to Maxtor 40 Gb 7200 rpm and 320 Mb RAM. and upgrade the Firmware (version 1.2).
    Im running Panther on it without problems..
    check your firmware version..!
    regards

Thread Information