New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - apple care for imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

hey there

i have just bought an imac !

but

i would like to know if when ii purchase the apple care. can i do it after the 1 year waranty that comes with the imac or do i have to do it now.

also

does the apple care for the imac cover parts and labour?

thanks

chris tm
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough

anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

I was told that I can purchase the Apple Care anytime before the 1 year warranty runs out.

Check out the APpple Website to actually see what the Care covers but I would assume it covers Parts and Labour otherwise it's kind of pointless.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

christm, you have until midnight on the last day of your complimentary 1 year warranty to purchase the AppleCare Extended Warranty. All parts/labour are covered if it is deemed to be a warranty repair, but software issues aren't covered AFAIK.

*Edit* oh, congratulations too, by the way!:flower:
QUOTE Thanks
christm

ok thank you very much guys!

ya i cant wait !

thanks Pulse -8 for the congrats.

cheers

ctm
QUOTE Thanks
sneeks

sneeks is on a distinguished road

I may well purchase this before the end of my 1st year. Having said that I've never really had any hardware reliability problems in the past with my old pc's.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

i purchased it for my ibook in summer 2005 and i havnt had to use it yet. but i always like to have it for peace of mind.

thankyou to everyone who answered to my question

cheers

chris tm
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

It is also very good because you get free phone support for 3 years, I have it on both my iMacs and my macbook...

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
relapse

relapse is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb

Apple care does not cover any kind of software issues. But if anything else goes wrong which is under the general category of "normal wear and tear" or "defect" it should be covered. The phone support is also what you are paying for. I haven't had to use it yet on my two week old iMac, but I feel comfortable having it. I did lots of research before purchasing it, and Apple has award winning tech support. They even pay for your shipping when you need to ship it out to get repaired!

One of the main reasons I purchased it was because I was paranoid of my monitor dying on me. If my monitor died, I'd essentially be screwed, because my computer would be done for as well. Though technically there is a video out on an iMac, it would really be a hassle.

From what I've heard, Apple Care is really top notch. But since Macs are very reliable as it is, it's possible you'll never need it! But I feel comfortable knowing I have it, especially since I'm a new Mac user.

QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

I also bought it cause i do all my editing on an imac and i figured if screen blows, then im does... also i beilive that if your drive fails, they will do recorvery.

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I heard on MacBreak Weekly (podcast) that AppleCare can also be transferred from one computer to another should you upgrade.

I don't currently have AppleCare, but I'm planning to upgrade to an iMac from my mini when Leopard's launched. I'll buy AppleCare then, because of the monitor issues, the fact that I earn my living on this thing and use it about 14 hours a day, and AppleCare gives you on-site support.
QUOTE Thanks
Jammers

Jammers is on a distinguished road

Get it - I did, with an education discount, for 109. 3 months later my logic board was replaced and would have cost 500+.
QUOTE Thanks
geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac

In considering Apple Care you should consider whether you can afford to replace the item or not. The fact is that the expectation value of the repairs to an iMac have to be less than the Apple Care. Extended warranties/insurance would not exist if companies paid out more than they took in by selling them. In the last year I've purchased a considerable amount of electronics and with every purchase I was offered an extended warranty. Adding it up in my head it seems to me that the total amount of extended warranty I could have bought would be in the $3000 range (the Apple Care is pretty cheap as far as these things go). With the $3000 I saved by not buying them I can easily afford to replace any one item that I bought, even though statistics says that none should. In the long run you will be ahead financially if you do not buy extended warranties.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buy mac pro now or wait for next update? | Mac Pro Freeze...kind of?? »