New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

20" Core 2 Duo Surround Sound?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sneeks

sneeks is on a distinguished road

I have my new iMac connected to my home surround sound system via optical out and I can achieve a 2 channel signal from my amp. How do I activate the full 5 channel output for use during dvd playback? These are currenty only playing as 2 channel. The amp does display Optical signal is active.

Many thanks

Sneeks
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Check under 'applications->utilities->audio/midi setup' and see if you can tell your iMac to use more channels by selecting 'configure speakers-> multichannel -> number of speakers'.
QUOTE Thanks
sneeks

Thank you for the advice, unfortunately it looks like the iMac will not support my Sony surround sound amp The options for 5.1 are not selectable.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Sorry to hear that.....you would have been totally cruising with your 5.1 set-up....
QUOTE Thanks
sneeks

The setup I have at home is perfect with all other devices (Xbox 360, dvd player etc) but the iMac does not seem to be able to connect using the full 5.1
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Interesting... I'll have to double check but I'm using my iMac (Intel, 20" cd) with a Sony surround amp and I'm fairly sure it's doing the full 5.1 output on the optical whenever I use a DVD. I'll take another look tonight...
QUOTE Thanks
sneeks

Thanks, I'll be interested to read your results.
QUOTE Thanks
sneeks

I discovered the answer on the Mac discussion area. Working perfectly now.

In the DVD player preferences there is an option that is available ONLY when a Toslink cable is connected to the iMac. Under Disc Setup there is a box for Audio Output that defaults to System Sound Output. When the digital audio cable is connected there will be a second (hidden) option that can be detected if you click on the arrows next to System Sound Output that lets you choose to pass through the actual Surround Sound information from the DVD. So the required sound preference is not in the OS X System Preference->Sound panel at all. And clicking on the preference on an actual DVD movie (as you would with a standalone DVD player) also does not turn on the surround sound.
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Excellent, I was just about to post to say mine's working but I don't remember that hidden option, perhaps it defaulted to 5.1 for some reason on my system. Good to hear you got it working though
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Was it Worth it? | which iMac is best?? »