New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac as primary XP/Vista Machine, minimal OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pfb

pfb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

I have a MacBook pro that is my bread & butter machine. I also run parallels on it for a couple of applications that I need and will not run under OSX.

My desktop machine is a Dell Wintel box about five years old, and it's gettin' kind of slow. Instead of replacing it with another Wintel box, I'm thinking of buying an iMac instead, running bootcamp, and keeping it in XP (or Vista) most of the time.

Other than the cost penalty, which can be mostly offset by buying a discontiued Core Duo (vs. Core 2 Duo) iMac for about $800 plus some RAM, does anybody see any disadvantages to this strategy??
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Absolutely None, when ever I run Xp it seems to work just as well as on a PC.

If you can afford it then why not, I can't see any problems myself with doing it obviously for me it would be a cost issue and you could probably pick up a cheap PC instead but it's up to yourself really.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Running Windows on a Mac (either under BootCamp or Parallels) is intended for those who need the occasional Windows program or two. It is foolish, in my opinion, to buy a Mac for the sole purpose of running Windows on it full-time. BootCamp is still beta software and not all of the hardware in a Mac is supported under Windows. What little support is available from Apple for BootCamp will be gone eventually (read the BootCamp release notes and you will see what I mean). Hardware similarites aside, the simple fact is that Windows was neither desiged for nor intended to be run on a Mac. Just because you can run Windows under BootCamp, doesn't mean it is the best or smartest option out there.

If you need Windows as your main OS, then the smartest thing to do is get the best tool for the job... a Windows-based PC.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

I would have to disagree. Windows WAS made to run on the intel MAC hardware. Only the logic board is something that can't be found in a windows PC and if it doesn't require any special drivers to run on it under boot camp you won't see any issues. Heck even the logic board on an intel IMAC is technically PC hardware as far as the chipset goes which is all that matters.
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

I agree with devilboy. Dont buy a mac to only run windows on it. Its not a good idea considering its beta software and the support is minimal. I have an imac and run windows on it for games. It runs well, but some stuff is still quirky. Like the time is always messed up when i switch between OSX and XP. I would just run windows on a windows box. my 2 cents

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
Seraphic

Seraphic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.

Just build yourself a small formfactor media centre PC instead and get a 20in display for it - it'll be cheaper and you'll not have to worry about bootcamp. Sure, it'll not look as sexy as an iMac, but then not a lot does. It boils down to what you want most - a sexy looking PC or a fully-functional one that you can upgrade easily in the future.

Personally, when I switched I thought I'd use Macosx / Windows as a 50/50 split, but I only ever boot into Windows on my iMac when I want to play the odd game (and the iMac doesn't do that too well in my opinion, but I got the base model).
QUOTE Thanks
lmasri

For all of you to know, BootCamp is available as a beta version now and IT WILL be part of the coming OS X Leopard next year, so yes it is here as a beta and will be part of the operating system for good.

I switched to iMac 1 month ago. I made the right step after using PCs for the last decade.

Life is short, use a Mac
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasri View Post
For all of you to know, BootCamp is available as a beta version now and IT WILL be part of the coming OS X Leopard next year, so yes it is here as a beta and will be part of the operating system for good.
While it is likely that some sort of dual-booting capability will be included in Leopard, it cannot be said that it will definitely be included. The OS had not been released yet and Apple does have the ability to make the decision to drop it if they so desire.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
I would have to disagree. Windows WAS made to run on the intel MAC hardware. Only the logic board is something that can't be found in a windows PC and if it doesn't require any special drivers to run on it under boot camp you won't see any issues. Heck even the logic board on an intel IMAC is technically PC hardware as far as the chipset goes which is all that matters.
No, windows was made a long time before Apple switched to Intel.

Apple machines are very nice, but if you intend to spend 99% of your time in Windows, it is probably better to get a PC that was built for Windows and has it installed, for the following reasons.

- Whoever you bought it from will support Windows and any issues arising. Apple support will not solve Windows issues (and why should they?)
- Driver updates and security issues may not be fully addressed or supported going forward.
- The small issue of Vista. Anyone spending 99% of their time in a MS environment will want to upgrade to Vista in the future. There is no guarantee or even a suggestion that current Macs will run Vista.
- If you have a notebook, the right mouse click can be troublesome.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Seraphic

Seraphic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
No, windows was made a long time before Apple switched to Intel.

Apple machines are very nice, but if you intend to spend 99% of your time in Windows, it is probably better to get a PC that was built for Windows and has it installed, for the following reasons.

- Whoever you bought it from will support Windows and any issues arising. Apple support will not solve Windows issues (and why should they?)
- Driver updates and security issues may not be fully addressed or supported going forward.
- The small issue of Vista. Anyone spending 99% of their time in a MS environment will want to upgrade to Vista in the future. There is no guarantee or even a suggestion that current Macs will run Vista.
- If you have a notebook, the right mouse click can be troublesome.
Technically, it is possible to run Vista on the current version of bootcamp, but I agree with all of your points.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hello! And processor upgrade for G3/G4 question | Dying pixels? »