New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Was it Worth it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WGI

WGI is on a distinguished road

I just bought an iMac G5 but not yet recieved it. Its 17" 2.16Ghz intel core 2 duo. I love macs but I have read in other posts on this site that the G5 has problems. Was it worth getting it. I think so but after reading these posts maybe not. Can anyone reinforce this, are the G5s not very good, whats the deal, do the G5s really have problems?

Thanks for your input.
QUOTE Thanks
WGI

Worth not Wroth
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

The Intel Core2Duo isn't a G5. G5 is the processor and has been since replaced by the Intel C2D.

Don't jinx yourself into believing that your new Mac will come with inbuilt faults just waiting to surface and wreck your overall Mac experience.

Just enjoy your new mac when it comes, try to learn as much as you can from forums such as this before needing help.

There is so much info at your fingertips and preventative medicine is a proven winner.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Pluse-8 said it very well! Enjoy your new iMac. It's a nice machine. I know of no known flaw on the Intel iMacs. A person here or there might have some issues but there is no widespread problem at all.

The G5 is a Power PC CPU and has not been around for over a year. I have the last iMac with the G5 and it's been faultless for way over a year now 24 hours a day use also!
QUOTE Thanks
WGI

Thanks for the input. I will enjoy my Mac I'm sure of it since I just moved from the PC dark side. But the waiting is killing me, 3 weeks till my mac arrives.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Intel Macs run programs designed for Intel processors the best. They are known as Universal Binary programs (there's a blue yin and yang symbol on the packaging).

Older programs such as Photoshop CS 2 run through emulation software called Rosetta. This is invisible, so you won't even know it's there. These programs might run slower than you might expect sometimes, but on the whole there's nothing to worry about.

All programs now being brought out are Intel optimised.
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Why is there such a long wait?

I just went in to pick up mine, and whola it was there. I could of ordered it off the net and it still would of been dispatched within 24 hours!

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
Seraphic

Seraphic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.

There is a flaw with all of the new C2D iMac systems (including mine as well as many many angry users as you'll see on Apple's own discussion forums) - the airport card that is built in is the new Broadcom chipset (which includes 'pre-N' technology, albeit disabled currently) and the wireless performance when compared to any intel-based PC or PPC mac is absolutely dire. So be aware of that.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGI View Post
Thanks for the input. I will enjoy my Mac I'm sure of it since I just moved from the PC dark side. But the waiting is killing me, 3 weeks till my mac arrives.
3 weeks !

where u getting it from?

normaly its 1week
QUOTE Thanks
WGI

It said 3 weeks on the apple.ca web site but now it says it has been shipped. FedEx says it'll be at my house tomorrow. So apple really over estimated the shipping time.

What can I do about the airport, Is it inevitable that my new iMac will have an airport problem. Can the problem be fixed is really what I'm asking.
QUOTE Thanks
Seraphic

Seraphic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.

Different people are getting different results. I've been forced to invest in a USB wifi dongle (a ralink one that has osx drivers) because I'm heavily affected by the problem, however a friend of mine who only uses her connection for basic web browsing does experience the same problems but isn't so bothered by them. Whereas I download a lot of stuff, it affects me as well as my work.

I've no doubt that the problem can (and eventually will) be fixed, but Apple have yet to officially acknowledge that there's an issue, so it may not be any time soon.
QUOTE Thanks
WGI

Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dying pixels? | 20" Core 2 Duo Surround Sound? »