New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Is it worth the extra money? iMac 24 upgrades.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

doitdh

doitdh is on a distinguished road

I am going to buy an iMac 24 this weekend and I am considering a few upgrades but don't know if it is worth the extra $400. What I am considering is the following:

Processor to 233 ghz from 2.16
256 Video card
Wireless keyboard and mouse
I want to go to 2G of Ram, but I understand it can be found much cheaper than buying from Apple direct.

This is per the apple site configuration page for the iMac.

The reason I am considering the upgrades is that I will be using Photoshop to edit pictures and do some video editing. All of it at a very basic level, nothing professional. I am coming from the PC world and I am tired of having to upgrade or deal with crashes. This may be overkill or maybe it is worth the money... not sure but hoping I could get some feedback that will help me make a decision.

Also, should I be looking at another vendor besides buying directly from Apple? Any store/online I should look at.

Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Photo editing can be quite resource intensive, particularly if you are using Photoshop. My advice would be to load up on the RAM and go for the fastest processor you can. Remember, until Adobe releases CS3, the Mac has to interpret Photoshop under Rosetta. You need all the speed you can get... and Rosetta apps are reputed to run faster if you give the machine more RAM.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

170Mhz in processor clock speed between the same design of CPU is nothing and you won't notice any difference. A waste of money in my view, but I'd recommend getting 2 gigs of RAM.

A 256Mb graphics card will help for playing Doom3 and Quake4, but for not much else.
QUOTE Thanks
The Applenator

The Applenator is on a distinguished road

I had the same delima when I bought my 24" Imac. I went with the 2.13ghz, 2gb of ram and the 256mb on the vid card which is the 7600GT card.
If you do a search in the forums alot of your answers lie there.
Some people would agree and disagree, but I bought my upgraded ram from Apple for about $140.00 more.

I like to have plans for the future and like to keep my Imac for anywhere to 4 to 5 years, before finding something new again.

Going from 2.13 to 2.33 shows a very SMALL amount of performance by the way.

Good luck 2 ya.

24" Imac 3gb of Ram/ 7600Gt with 256mb grphics card
MacBook Pro 2.13ghz,2gb ram,160gb hd
32gb 3GS iPhone, iPad 32gb Wi-Fi
QUOTE Thanks
relapse

relapse is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb

If you are doing entry-level basic photo/video editing, you will most likely be fine without the 2 gigs or the faster processor. If you think you're going to be doing hardcore photo/video editing down the road, you should definetly consider upgrading now (since you cannot upgrade the processor or graphics card afterwards).

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions about mods for Blueberry... | Problem with my new 1.83ghz iMAC 17" »