New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - serious problem???...mac will not turn on!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toneroc

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have a G5 imac with a power pc processor. I recently had problems with it crashing all the time and found out that i needed a new logic board. i got it replaced (at a pretty penny) and i thought that was the end to all my troubles. I got my computer home, plugged it in and turned it on....it made an awful crackling noise (a bit like an old zx spectrum loading screen) and then beeped 3 times, the fan/drive stirred up and the power indicator light repeatedly flashed 3 times also. i unplugged, tried all the trouble shoot tricks with resetting pram etc...and it still will not turn on. Each time i get 3 beeps, the fan or drive starts up an dthe indicator flashes.

does anyone know what this means?...does it spell doom for my computer. Apparently at the apple repair place they had tested it and it was working fine.

any help would be appreciated

tony
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneroc View Post
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have a G5 imac with a power pc processor. I recently had problems with it crashing all the time and found out that i needed a new logic board. i got it replaced (at a pretty penny) and i thought that was the end to all my troubles. I got my computer home, plugged it in and turned it on....it made an awful crackling noise (a bit like an old zx spectrum loading screen) and then beeped 3 times, the fan/drive stirred up and the power indicator light repeatedly flashed 3 times also. i unplugged, tried all the trouble shoot tricks with resetting pram etc...and it still will not turn on. Each time i get 3 beeps, the fan or drive starts up an dthe indicator flashes.

does anyone know what this means?...does it spell doom for my computer. Apparently at the apple repair place they had tested it and it was working fine.

any help would be appreciated

tony
I haven't had an experience or read or heard of anyone having the horrible experience that you describe.

What I do know is you need to get your iMac back the the AppleStore pronto and ask them what they think is going on with it.

If you paid good money for the replacement LogicBoard and it did that then you need some answers fast and it's the people that fitted the board who are the ones to approach.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Sounds like they did not seat the memory in all the way when they put it back together and in shipping it came just loose enough to cause your system to not boot. Before taking it in I would open the memory slot and just be absolutly sure those chips are pushed in all they can go then try to turn it on again.
QUOTE Thanks
toneroc

yeah...i just read somewhere that 3 beeps means something do with inadequate ram or something so i'll check that. If that doesn't work then i'll be onto the shop boys something crazy.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
paulhobbs23

Ive got the same crackling noise on one of my imacs, and i've narrowed it down to the logic board, all the ram and hard drive etc work fine on my other imac. Did they replace the psu when they replaced the logic board?? May be a faulty psu blowing the boards?? happened all the time when i worked as a PC techie, don't know about macs though?
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

How did that end up working for you tone? Was it the memory? I had a similar issue when I upgraded the ram in my Imac and it turned out I just had to push those chips in alittle more then I thought I did.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

1 beep = No RAM installed/detected
2 beeps = Incompatible RAM type installed (for example, EDO)
3 beeps = No RAM banks passed memory testing
4 beeps = Bad checksum for the remainder of the boot ROM
5 beeps = Bad checksum for the ROM boot block

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help a new Mac convert | Good Deals On MAcs ? »