New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - I want an iMac!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ricketh

Hi guys,
I've never owned a Mac before, I've been brought up with Windows(I know some of you may frown upon this) it's purely because Macs aren't that popular in the UK.

I really want to get myself an iMac around Christmas time but:
I've never owned or used one before and I don't know what works on them and what doesn't,
for example, steam for counter-strike? battlefield 2? these little things I need to know to get me closer to deciding whether or not to get one!

Also, I'm at college and need to know I can do my college work on the macs just like a windows machine.

Thanks guys,
ricketh.
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

I understand you perfectly I was in the exact same position as you...except for Games.

Brought up with Windows and Played and Used Only Windows...I took the leap there last month. I'm also from the UK and I'm the only one in my Lesson's that's got a Mac and I know a few Online they are few and far between from what I can see.

Gaming on the Mac isn't really a "benefit" for Mac Users. Windows has this tied down pretty well with alot of support.

I think the best way for you to get round this would be with BootCamp and couldn't tell you what it's like playing them.

I would highly suggest getting an iMac, ever since I made the switch I haven't regretted it.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricketh View Post
Hi guys,
I've never owned a Mac before, I've been brought up with Windows(I know some of you may frown upon this) it's purely because Macs aren't that popular in the UK.

I've never owned or used one before and I don't know what works on them and what doesn't,
for example, steam for counter-strike? battlefield 2? these little things I need to know to get me closer to deciding whether or not to get one!

Also, I'm at college and need to know I can do my college work on the macs just like a windows machine.

Thanks guys,
ricketh.
Welcome to the forums. I'd suggest you start by reading through threads in the Switcher's section. Many of your questions have probably been answered. Another good tool is the "search" button at the top of the forum.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

heya

im in the same position as u. i live in devon in the uk and i want an imac for xmas. I hope to run boot camp to run my games, bf2, track mania, fear, hl2 etc..

student work is fine on a mac. my ibook g4 manages it fine.

ctm
QUOTE Thanks
2J4EZ

2J4EZ is on a distinguished road

I made the switch about 5 months ago mac all the way every thing just works got a xboxs360 for games mac for video,pictures,internet,dvd,neooffice,toast

mac rocks

GET A MAC
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Hi there,
let me try and advise you here...

Quote:
Hi guys,
Popularity would be defined by what group you look at... basically, Macs are not popular anywhere in the world :-) . And we don't frown upon you, many of us here are originally Windows people *ugh*. We frown upon ourselves ;-)

Quote:
Hi guys,
I've never owned or used one before...
A) Why do you want an iMac?
B)...if you've never used one before?

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want to play games, DON'T buy a Mac. If you want to use OS X, buy a Mac. Reason: Game selection for OS X is poor, and buying a Mac to run Windows only on it is a waste of money.

Tell us what you use computers for, and we'll tell you what computer's good for you (even if it IS that Dell box).

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Basically if you want to play games get a Windows PC as support for Mac's is crap on that agenda so it's not worth wasting your time.

However if games are just an added benefit go for Mac, I would suggest you pick up a Xbox 360 instead, not a PS3, waste of Money! Not a Fanboy just logical.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Try a little Mac, never look back.

I wrote an article on switching, which you can find at:

http://www.martin-sketchley.pwp.blue..._switcher.html

Go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricketh View Post

If you're a mad gamer then you might be dissapointed.

Your new Mac will help you with your college work but you may need to download a 3rd party app Word Processor or purchase MS Word for Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
The Applenator

The Applenator is on a distinguished road

I switched about a month ago. I've been a pc user for about 13 years (and building pc's). Decided to switch beause I was tired of the viruses, spyware, windows crashing and the "high" maintenance of a windows machine.
I did research on the mac for about 4 months before I dropped some cash on my 24" Imac. Needless to say I have NO regrets on switching. Owning a mac was the best thing that has happened. My wife love's my Imac so much and OSX, that she ordered her Macbook Pro C2D last night!

There are games available for the mac as well, Call of duty 2, Civ IV, etc...

I use my X360 for games anyways, and the mac for computer related stuff only.

Good luck on your thought process.

24" Imac 3gb of Ram/ 7600Gt with 256mb grphics card
MacBook Pro 2.13ghz,2gb ram,160gb hd
32gb 3GS iPhone, iPad 32gb Wi-Fi
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

I love the 1080p display on my 24" IMAC and as a network admin I mostly use my computer for research and remoting into clients networks to fix their issues. I used to play World of warcraft alot and my mac can play that without any trouble. As for other games...I agree with the others. I would concentrate on a console or maybe start building a gaming pc in your spare time... after you buy your mac.
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want to play games, DON'T buy a Mac. If you want to use OS X, buy a Mac. Reason: Game selection for OS X is poor, and buying a Mac to run Windows only on it is a waste of money.
But you can have it both ways. I have a Mac because I want to use OS X, but I also have Windows on here to play games. Just because you have Windows on your Mac doesn't mean you're only running Windows. When you're playing games you can't even tell that you're in Windows. Then when you're done you get to go back to OS X.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Software restore problem...cdrom not in devalias | Storage Issue »