New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Purchased PowerMac G3--Any Tips or Suggestions?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Hey everyone! So I just recently purchased a PowerMac G3 and wanted to get some tips and suggestions for the system. Obviously, I am going to upgrade the hard drive and increase the storage space. I was also looking at putting Mac OS X 10.2---any suggestions?

Here are the system specs:

Apple PowerMac G3 350 Mhz
128 MB RAM
6 GB (Will upgrade for sure)
ATI Rage 128 (16 MB VRAM)
Zip Drive
Fresh install of OS 9

Thanks for your suggestions and tips!

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

My G3 400MHz iMac runs Panther (10.3.9) quite well with 640mb RAM and a Seagate 80GB HDD.

It's very stable and does most basic tasks quite well like iTunes, Adium, Camino, DVD player etc. iPhoto is a little slow at rendering but for a small library it's usable too.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

Remember the hard drive is limited to 120GB, I think. If you use anything larger than that it will only recognize 120GB of it. Even OSX 10.4 will run well on the G3, but you will defenitely have to upgrade the memory if you're going that route.

12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Ditto the extra ram. It is fairly cheap and you will want it. Make sure the System 9 is 9.2.2 with QuickTime 6.0.3. My only question is why 10.2? If you have the choice, 10.4 will behave very well on an older Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthpastor View Post
Hey everyone! So I just recently purchased a PowerMac G3 and wanted to get some tips and suggestions for the system. Obviously, I am going to upgrade the hard drive and increase the storage space. I was also looking at putting Mac OS X 10.2---any suggestions?

Here are the system specs:

Apple PowerMac G3 350 Mhz
128 MB RAM
6 GB (Will upgrade for sure)
ATI Rage 128 (16 MB VRAM)
Zip Drive
Fresh install of OS 9

Thanks for your suggestions and tips!
Upgrade the RAM anyway possible... and also install Panther. Panther is far more efficient than Jaguar and the machine will run faster, believe it or not. Tiger will run about the same as Jaguar speed wise, but will offer more features obviously. 10.2.x is not well supported and many apps won't work, such as iTunes 7, iBank, Moneydance, Realplayer 10 etc.

A bigger HDD will help too and perhaps a DVD drive. The machine should just about be able to play DVD movies.
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I guess I was leaning towards Jaguar 10.2 because I was not completely sure if it could handle Tiger or not. If that is the case--then I will just pick up a copy of Tiger and put it on the system then. Thanks for the comments!

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Good Deals On MAcs ? | Mini as a server »