New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Mini as a server

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Adam

Adam will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4

Hi,

Now I have my MBP (:flower I want to use my mini more effectively.

The main things I would like to use it for are for backups (from mbp and through ftp), file storage, itunes server. I *may* forray into mail servers at a later date - probably much later as I've only just got the hang of IMAP on my hosting server so trying to use it locally... aahhh.

Anyhow I digress - do I need to install OXS on the mini. Or can you use OS x client as is, and if so how?

I am not neccesarily after the easiest method, just the most effective. I am googling too but can't seem to find anything concrete (ie how to do it!)

Thanks for your help as always!

AD
QUOTE Thanks
bkgee

bkgee is on a distinguished road

i am also interested in the above. if anyone has experience with the mini as a small network file server, please chime in. for me, a 15-machine peer-to-peer network, using mostly Windows 2000 or XP pros.

i have no doubt the mini will be a better overall replacement to my current file server (a slightly dated XP box), but am unsure whether the hardware of the mini will hold up to 10 people's daily file requests (nothing out of the ordinary office files). i will have to hang our "network drive" as an external off of the mini.

didnt mean to thread jack, but i think my situation is very similar. thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Adam

also might be worth noting that if I dont go with OXS it will be something I would want to implement on a Mac Pro.

Ad
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

You are just fine with OS X if you want to run a simple server. All the necessary software can be found in your installation DVD (installed by default). If you are accustomed to commandline (Terminal) there are plenty of other open source software you can download to assist your task. However I would recommend you to check out MAMP website. It is really easy to install and the package consist of up to date software.
QUOTE Thanks
Adam

is that just a web server?

I'm more looking for a file server / itunes server etc

Ad
QUOTE Thanks
Adam

bump
QUOTE Thanks
bkgee

bkgee is on a distinguished road

for file server, i have just enabled sharing, and then used Sharepoints to manage the external drive as a shared volume. seems to work so far, i will test a bit more vigorously before i implement for my office. os x appears to handle file serving just fine, but the mentioned app appears to allow for easier permissions/groups mgmt.
QUOTE Thanks
Adam

cool thanks I'll take a look!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Purchased PowerMac G3--Any Tips or Suggestions? | Software restore problem...cdrom not in devalias »