New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - New Mini's and video editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sexy Patrol

Sexy Patrol is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: '09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB

So this question has been brought up, but as far as I can tell not recently since the Intel models have been released. I just got a 20" iMac Core 2 Duo, 500GB Hard Drive all for video editing, unfortunately I'll be moving out within the next couple weeks and I can't take it with me since it's not just mine. I have a 12" PowerBook but I've done video editing on it quite a bit before and it seems to be a bit of a hassle compared to using a desktop. My question is this: would buying a Mini and maxing out the options (2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 1.8GHz IC2 processor) would it be close to if not equal to the iMac's performance with Final Cut Pro, or at least better than my PowerBook? Or would my money be better spent elsewhere? I was considering dropping ~ $2K on it (23" Cinema Display included), all assuming I can accumulate the funds of course. What do you guys think?

If you're wondering what kind of video editing I'd be doing it ranges from wedding videos, retreat videos (church events), but predominantly short films as short as 7-8mins or as long as 30mins. Would the Mini be a good idea? Trust me I'd love to get a Mac Pro but unfortunately it's not in the cards. What do you guys think? What would you do differently?

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I don't know about anybody else, but I would get a MacBook Pro and an external hard drive.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

A MacBook Pro would blow a Mini out of the water in video editing.

The Mini's loss comes from it's lack of a dedicated video card.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Why not just go for almost the same machine that you are using now?

Subtotal $1,949.00
* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 500GB Serial ATA Drive
* ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
* SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
* 20-inch widescreen LCD
* AirPort Extreme
* Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

I would have to agree ^^^^

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Eh, I probably wouldn't buy the same computer, twice.

I'd go with something portable, something different.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Kulokoy

Kulokoy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.

it calls for a MacBookPro, no doubt.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95 View Post
Eh, I probably wouldn't buy the same computer, twice.

I'd go with something portable, something different.
Well he won't have the original computer so hes getting his own machine

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

Well, to be honest, I have no idea. However, give me a couple of weeks (I have a mini on order) and I can give you an answer.

And besides, the way I look at is is thus: Go back a couple of years (Even just 1 or 2) and look at the computers then: Doesn't the low-end mini have more computer power than they would have had? And aren't we essentially trying to do he same thing? It may not do it as well as a present top-of-the-line machine, but if less-powerful computers have been able to do it, so should a current model.

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMAC G5 Target Disc Mode HELP | Powermac G5 Power Supply? »