New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

2 gb or 3 gb ram on new 20" imac???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tommyz

Just curious. I had the mac mini with 2gb ram and it felt fine - I had the 1.66ghz processor with 2gb of RAM - some tasks such as compositing photo's seemed to take some time - but otherwise it worked fine. I had it hooked up to my plasma tv - and the pic was great...

But - I'm trading up to an Imac that doesn't require me to take up my TV and have something in the office. Plus - I'm giving my sister the mac mini.... as I'm a new mac convert and now feel that everyone I know should have one. Its awesome (and yes - I work in the windows software industry).

But I'm stumped - should I bump up the memory along with the cpu to 3gig - or will 2 gig be just fine...

I use primarily rapidweaver, gimpshop, internet, and would like to get into doing some flash work (looking for the Adobe Web Bundle once I enroll in a local college for my masters).
QUOTE Thanks
geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac

I guess you have to decide if the upgrade from 2 to 3 GB is worth $575 US. To me it isn't, but it might be to you. I'm running a 24" with 2 GB and it is fast enough for anything I do... but it depends what you do.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

All the stuff you mentioned will run fine with 1gig, let alone 2. 3 would be a waste of money at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

I'm sure in your case 1GB will work fine. If you really want to add more RAM I would just buy it from newegg.com and get much more value for your money.

QUOTE Thanks
tommyz

of ram and upgraded the video card. I found a site that had run comparisons using the 2gig and 3 gig and the differences were not astounding. It seems that memory access and addressing is faster with "like" chips and although 3 gig is faster - it isn't like 30 percent faster - more like 10 percent doing a variety of movie editing tasks.

Now I just have to agonize while waiting for the new machine. I chose next day delivery - ordered last night and it says Nov. 7 for due date. This I find funny since the store says 2-4 days for delivery.

I had several complaints about the store though. Very difficult to use.

They say you have to be home for delivery - but don't give exact dates
Using my gift card was difficult
No ability to compare across machine on one page.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
Slowleg

Slowleg is on a distinguished road

If you go aftermarket ram from newegg or somewhere it is definitely feesable, but if you are going to spend more on it why not get the 24 inch?

20 inch iMac 2 ghz 2 gigs 256 mb vram
500 mhz green machine iMac
1 gig nano
60 Ipod photo
I love my collection
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Everyhing Is Sepia??? | Newbie Widescreen Help »