2 gb or 3 gb ram on new 20" imac???
    Just curious. I had the mac mini with 2gb ram and it felt fine - I had the 1.66ghz processor with 2gb of RAM - some tasks such as compositing photo's seemed to take some time - but otherwise it worked fine. I had it hooked up to my plasma tv - and the pic was great...

But - I'm trading up to an Imac that doesn't require me to take up my TV and have something in the office. Plus - I'm giving my sister the mac mini.... as I'm a new mac convert and now feel that everyone I know should have one. Its awesome (and yes - I work in the windows software industry).

But I'm stumped - should I bump up the memory along with the cpu to 3gig - or will 2 gig be just fine...

I use primarily rapidweaver, gimpshop, internet, and would like to get into doing some flash work (looking for the Adobe Web Bundle once I enroll in a local college for my masters).

Winnipeg, MB
    24" iMac
    I guess you have to decide if the upgrade from 2 to 3 GB is worth $575 US. To me it isn't, but it might be to you. I'm running a 24" with 2 GB and it is fast enough for anything I do... but it depends what you do.

Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    All the stuff you mentioned will run fine with 1gig, let alone 2. 3 would be a waste of money at the moment.

new jersey
    20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
    I'm sure in your case 1GB will work fine. If you really want to add more RAM I would just buy it from and get much more value for your money.

Thanks - I ordered the 20" imac with 2 gig
    of ram and upgraded the video card. I found a site that had run comparisons using the 2gig and 3 gig and the differences were not astounding. It seems that memory access and addressing is faster with "like" chips and although 3 gig is faster - it isn't like 30 percent faster - more like 10 percent doing a variety of movie editing tasks.

Now I just have to agonize while waiting for the new machine. I chose next day delivery - ordered last night and it says Nov. 7 for due date. This I find funny since the store says 2-4 days for delivery.

I had several complaints about the store though. Very difficult to use.

They say you have to be home for delivery - but don't give exact dates
    Using my gift card was difficult
    No ability to compare across machine on one page.

If you go aftermarket ram from newegg or somewhere it is definitely feesable, but if you are going to spend more on it why not get the 24 inch?
    20 inch iMac 2 ghz 2 gigs 256 mb vram
    500 mhz green machine iMac
    1 gig nano
    60 Ipod photo
    I love my collection

Thread Information