New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - IMAC G5 Target Disc Mode HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ZeroSystem21

Hi there guys, I'm new to this forum. I need help!!!
I have a IMAC G5 17" 1.83ghz intel duo core 160gb
It came with Tiger installed.

I bought it off another user. Got many programs in it. I tried to erase and install a new version of Tiger but it needs to be at least 10.4.2. But the Tiger DVD is 10.4.0 So I did a target disc mode with my IMAC G4 (OS X Tiger 10.4.8). During target disc mode, I've erase and install new OS X Tiger on the imac G5 hard drive and updated to latest version then it needs restart.
I restarted the two system.

The IMAC G4 booted up everything fine.

The PROBLEM IS the G5, booted up nothing, a blank screen. I had no idea, whats going on here???

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The question is, is your iMac a G5 or Intel. Since you are having a problem with the 10.4 install media, I assume it is the Intel iMac. The 10.4 install media is for the powerpc line.

Your problem is you need an Intel version of Mac OS X.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
ZeroSystem21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
The question is, is your iMac a G5 or Intel. Since you are having a problem with the 10.4 install media, I assume it is the Intel iMac. The 10.4 install media is for the powerpc line.

Your problem is you need an Intel version of Mac OS X.

OHHH wow, I didn't know that they got two different osx tiger. Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
ZeroSystem21

Hi guys, hope you can clearify my thoughts. I search for osx tiger for intel duo core. And I've noticed they didn't mention anything about tiger with intel on the label. I've searched and came accross OSX Tiger 10.4.6 I know the my G5 need at least 10.4.2. If I buy the OSX Tiger 10.4.6; will it work for a clean install in my Imac G5???? Or does it have to be Tiger 10.4.6 on intel????

Hope you guys can clear my thoughts, kinda new with mac and I need "mac for dummies" but got online with you guys to help out! Man, I love the forum, the smart teach the dumb. LOL
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

If you buy the latest version it will go on eiher a ppc or a intel computer.. It is now a universal version. But previous to the intel release it was only a ppc install disc. That is probably your problem. You are using an old disc. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to buy an upgraded disc.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« do macs go on sale | New Mini's and video editing »