New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Strange noise coming from new Imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lee_eel

Hi, just recently received my second imac (intel duo 20 inch) after a faulty first. however, i am hearing strange noises coming from the unit whenever i click on an icon and open it up. I don't know if it is the hard drive but it sounds like a crackle. This happens when i click on something or close it down. Even happens sometimes when nothing is open. Just seems a little strange, almost like inteference. There is no problem with the wall socket or anything. Please can anyone help as i am going to ask for a refund if this ubit is also faulty! I would really appreciate answers from other users.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

IS it coming out of the speakers? Is it still there if you turn the volume all the way down?
QUOTE Thanks
Lee_eel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis
IS it coming out of the speakers? Is it still there if you turn the volume all the way down?

no i have tried that still there!
QUOTE Thanks
Dice-K

Dice-K is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.16 GHz 15" MBP C2D 2.33 GHz 2GB RAM, Black Video iPod 80GB

I am also wondering bout this as I just got my new iMac 24 C2D and as soon as I turned it on it made crackling noises, as it was booting etc...is this the hard drive? is this normal? right now its updating software and not making a sound,but the crackling noise is irritating especially since I heard from a lot of people that it is almost silent...not mine. Well hopefully someone will be able to answer this otherwise I'll have to get on the phone with apple tomorow. Thanks!

Kelvin
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

I've noticed that a bit too, but it is when you put your head fairly close to the unit.
QUOTE Thanks
Dean786

Dean786 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD

You do know the Harddrive and CPU have to work?

You have the HDD, Optical Drive, CPU and Fans in there..

Your of course going to get sound from it! lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mini G4 dual head | Can't install OS 9 or OS X on my cube »