New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac 24" intel slowdown

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

soul60s

soul60s is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMAC G4 dual1.25gb RAM,160gb HD,250 external HD,ibook G4, 24"iMacIntelCore2Duo,2gb ram, macmini

I don't understand. I got my iMac Intel core2 duo 24". I added 2gb RAM. Checked the about this mac and saw that it does indeed recognize the 2gb ram. But for some reason, the computer is slow. If I am using Photoshop and cloning, I will select my source and clone another area but it takes about 5 seconds for it to actually do it. This should be automatic. On my powermac G4 I did not have this problem. Why is this happening???
When I clicked on my mail, that was only minimized, it too a few seconds before it brought it up again. At first, when the computer first recognized the 2gb of ram, it was so fast. Now it is so slow.

Pay no attention to that thing on the floor, it's just a hairball.

Great minds have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Is it a Universal Program?

As this would cause a Slowdown, check to see if there are any updates for the Software. I had a similar problem playing The Sims 2 (my Sister's )

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
soul60s

soul60s is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMAC G4 dual1.25gb RAM,160gb HD,250 external HD,ibook G4, 24"iMacIntelCore2Duo,2gb ram, macmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D 04
Is it a Universal Program?

As this would cause a Slowdown, check to see if there are any updates for the Software. I had a similar problem playing The Sims 2 (my Sister's )
I am not sure actually. It is Creative Suite CS. But my mail program is slow too.

Pay no attention to that thing on the floor, it's just a hairball.

Great minds have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Creative Suite CS I don't think is a Universal Program and I'm sure there was another thread mentioning the fact that you will find Creative Suite Cs running faster on Boot Camp than on OSX.

Hope someone can help you out though, as My Sig explains me!

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Creative Suite runs though Rosetta, so every command has to be translated from PowerPC to x86 on the fly. Overall, it should still be nippy though, with filters and complex tasks taking a bit longer than would be expected.

Universal CS3 comes out in spring 07.

Mail might be slow if you have a couple of other non-universal progs open at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Right now, Adobe Creative Suite is not Universal, meaning that it will run slower than it would on a PPC Mac. As far as your mail goes, just because the computer's processor is faster doesn't mean that the hard drive is faster. The new Intel Macs do use SATA hard drives, but they're not all that much faster than the older ATA 7200rpm drives. Take a step back for a second...your mail is loading in a "few seconds"...that's still pretty quick

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive recognition | Just bought a new Mac and the monitor is dead... »