New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - how to change ethernet address in imac


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
kaps

 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2006
Posts: 15
kaps is on a distinguished road

kaps is offline
Hi!

I just bought a imac 17" C2D 2.0 ghz. I am completely new to mac, but quite enjoying the change here. I guess will take some time to get into mac mode completely.
Anyways, since I have been a windows user till now, my surfing happens on this windows XP machine--
1) my ? is - since my network provider has locked in/configured my windows "mac/ethernet address", I can access net thru windows machine only.
2)Now without going in for a second connection or going for a static IP to use both the computers. Is there any way out??? If sharing is the solution pls pls guide me PC to mac ......net connection
3) Is it possible to change mac address on imac OS X and if yes how???

thanks so much
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

 
D3v1L80Y's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 12,459
D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

D3v1L80Y is offline
What kind of connection do you have?
I would imagine that all you would need is a router, I can't see any provider being so strict as to limit your connection to one and only one machine.
You cannot change the MAC address on a machine as it is a unique identifier for each machine. There are ways to spoof it and make it appear differently on certain networks, but not change it. That wouldn't help your situation anyway.
If you don't have a router and would like to use your Mac with your current connection, all you would have to do is power-cycle your modem before you connect your Mac.

__________________________________________________
Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
kaps

 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2006
Posts: 15
kaps is on a distinguished road

kaps is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
What kind of connection do you have?
I would imagine that all you would need is a router, I can't see any provider being so strict as to limit your connection to one and only one machine.
You cannot change the MAC address on a machine as it is a unique identifier for each machine. There are ways to spoof it and make it appear differently on certain networks, but not change it. That wouldn't help your situation anyway.
If you don't have a router and would like to use your Mac with your current connection, all you would have to do is power-cycle your modem before you connect your Mac.
Hi!!

I am connected to broadband thru cable directly. My network providers have basically done this " one connection one pc" cause there are some so called hackers trying to access the net for their benefit so my NP's have given each of us a small client login software from which I have to login to access the net which in turn communicates with the server which has my MAC address in their database Phew!!!

Anyways the point is, this is the present scenario. Even my laptop denied me access to the net due to this MAC addy problem. But changing the MAC address is as easy as 123 in WINDOWS .....and guess wat it did work!!!

Now when I enquired with my Network Provider's - if I want I could take a static IP which could allow me access from both PC and Mac for which I have to pay ( which I don't mind ) That's the reason I was wondering, is there any other way.......

Thanks
Kaps
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

 
Aptmunich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Munich
Posts: 9,075
Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Aptmunich is offline
Seriously, get a different ISP...

That's the most ridiculous policy I've heard in a long time...
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

 
Member Since: Aug 16, 2006
Posts: 245
Jem will become famous soon enough

Jem is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaps
Anyways the point is, this is the present scenario. Even my laptop denied me access to the net due to this MAC addy problem. But changing the MAC address is as easy as 123 in WINDOWS .....and guess wat it did work!!!
I heard there were hacker utils to do this, but can you tell me the "easy as 123" method in Windows cos I'm genuinely curious about this?
QUOTE Thanks
kaps

 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2006
Posts: 15
kaps is on a distinguished road

kaps is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
I heard there were hacker utils to do this, but can you tell me the "easy as 123" method in Windows cos I'm genuinely curious about this?
I don't know whether the "1 connection 1 computer" policy is ridiculous or not but the reality is, it does exist which unfortunately I am part of.

kindly go thru the following links :

http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200406/netgraph.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-148432.html

take care
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

 
Member Since: Aug 16, 2006
Posts: 245
Jem will become famous soon enough

Jem is offline
Ummm yeah, interesting links, but unless I'm missing something obvious, neither of them explains how to spoof your MAC address as easy as 123 in Windows...
QUOTE Thanks
Bossworld

 
Member Since: Aug 04, 2006
Posts: 25
Bossworld is an unknown at this point

Bossworld is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
Ummm yeah, interesting links, but unless I'm missing something obvious, neither of them explains how to spoof your MAC address as easy as 123 in Windows...
can't you get a router and use that to spoof the MAC?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

 
Aptmunich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Munich
Posts: 9,075
Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Aptmunich is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaps
I don't know whether the "1 connection 1 computer" policy is ridiculous or not but the reality is, it does exist which unfortunately I am part of.


take care

No, believe me - it is ridiculous... As more and more devices become internet aware, are you expected to rent connections for each of them?
One isp for my desktop, one for my laptop, one for my voip phone, one for the cable box with internet based program guide, etc etc...


The german telekom tried to enforce a similar policy a few years back.. they lost so many customers that they quickly reversed their policy and now let you use your connection the way you want to.


Best of luck trying to work around it though!
QUOTE Thanks
kaps

 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2006
Posts: 15
kaps is on a distinguished road

kaps is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossworld
can't you get a router and use that to spoof the MAC?
can I spoof with router? I am asking cause I am no networking wizard. let's c I am trying everything I can. If it works great!! As of now I am trying internal network with D-link 8 port switch

Aptmunich - I hope my network providers reverse their policy this "one connection one pc" policy is really bugging me now and irritating.

much thanks all
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,838
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
MOST routers allow MAC address cloning. I know for sure every Linksys I have worked with has it and so did the Netgears I have set up. Dlink probably does also. You copy the MAC address from the PC that you used to set up your cable and paste it into the Router where it says Clone MAC Address. Then it will think the router is that computer. You can then connect your computers wired or wireless to the router and all will work. Here in Calif. a few Cable Companies do what yours is doing but most don't bother. Every time I have ran into it using MAC Cloning in the Router solved it.

I had one tell me that a 233 PII would not even run the internet off Cable because it was too slow. I told the dood he was NUTS and hung up and made it work my way! :spook:
QUOTE Thanks
kaps

 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2006
Posts: 15
kaps is on a distinguished road

kaps is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
MOST routers allow MAC address cloning. I know for sure every Linksys I have worked with has it and so did the Netgears I have set up. Dlink probably does also. You copy the MAC address from the PC that you used to set up your cable and paste it into the Router where it says Clone MAC Address. Then it will think the router is that computer. You can then connect your computers wired or wireless to the router and all will work. Here in Calif. a few Cable Companies do what yours is doing but most don't bother. Every time I have ran into it using MAC Cloning in the Router solved it.

I had one tell me that a 233 PII would not even run the internet off Cable because it was too slow. I told the dood he was NUTS and hung up and made it work my way! :spook:
Hi

Thanks so much. I will defi try this one too

kaps
QUOTE Thanks
kaps

 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2006
Posts: 15
kaps is on a distinguished road

kaps is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
MOST routers allow MAC address cloning. I know for sure every Linksys I have worked with has it and so did the Netgears I have set up. Dlink probably does also. You copy the MAC address from the PC that you used to set up your cable and paste it into the Router where it says Clone MAC Address. Then it will think the router is that computer. You can then connect your computers wired or wireless to the router and all will work. Here in Calif. a few Cable Companies do what yours is doing but most don't bother. Every time I have ran into it using MAC Cloning in the Router solved it.

I had one tell me that a 233 PII would not even run the internet off Cable because it was too slow. I told the dood he was NUTS and hung up and made it work my way! :spook:
Hi!!

Thanks so much. I bought a Netgear wireless router ( WGR614 ) set it up ( had to go thru the process 2/3 times but it works great now - wired and wireless too with imac.

take care
kaps
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Frontrow Trouble | Power mac boot issues »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Problem connecting iPod Shuffle => iMac G5 iWhat iPod Hardware and Accessories 3 03-04-2005 11:33 PM
Appalling IMAC G5 Purchase and Support Experience. MattHonnor Apple Desktops 10 02-03-2005 05:23 PM
Im New to Imac was a PC user sexymuffin Apple Desktops 5 11-24-2004 02:27 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?