New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Mac Mini vs Firefox

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

polakbob

polakbob is on a distinguished road

I got a mac mini core solo a few days ago and I'm having a great time, but the system memory is VERY low. I've noticed especially that Firefox is a memory hog. What's a good web browsing alternative for this system (functionality vs memory use). Along side that however, upgrading memory in these systems is a pain, is it not? As I understand, it voids your warranty, is difficult to do, and even then, can I throw any kind of DDR ram in there or am I limited to certain apple ram (I'm a new switcher btw). Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
sluzniak

sluzniak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro CD 2.16, 2GB ram, 256MB Video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakbob
I got a mac mini core solo a few days ago and I'm having a great time, but the system memory is VERY low. I've noticed especially that Firefox is a memory hog. What's a good web browsing alternative for this system (functionality vs memory use). Along side that however, upgrading memory in these systems is a pain, is it not? As I understand, it voids your warranty, is difficult to do, and even then, can I throw any kind of DDR ram in there or am I limited to certain apple ram (I'm a new switcher btw). Thanks for the help!
There is Safari and Opera for your alternitive web browsers.. I am normally switching between firefox and Safari.. (off the wall question to everyone else.. is Firefox a Universal Binary?)

The memory the mini uses is DDR2 667 Non-ECC. You would be fine getting any reputible brand (kingston, crucial, corsair) and be fine.. I would just stay away from the el cheapo brand, as it can be a hit or miss for system stability.

Installing the ram can be a pain, you have to "crack" open the case, but there are plenty of websites that give instructions to open it up. And unless apple changed its policy it would void your warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
polakbob

Are there more than one ram slots on the board or would i need to expand by adding a larger stick?
QUOTE Thanks
sluzniak

Quote:
Are there more than one ram slots on the board or would i need to expand by adding a larger stick?
If you just got the coreduo mini, there are 2 slots in it.. I think some older ones had 1 slot
QUOTE Thanks
polakbob

Actually, the core solo mini. I suppose there has to be a way to find out...
QUOTE Thanks
sluzniak

Quote:
Actually, the core solo mini. I suppose there has to be a way to find out...
I looks like there are 2 memory slots in your solo model.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

my personal favorite

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
sluzniak

Quote:
Just one more thing I was looking at...
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

Firefox 1.5... does not seem to be a Universal Binary. The 2.0 is in beta, but looks like it is a universal binary.. That may give you a performance boost if you want to try out beta software. Can anyone back me up on that?
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 27" 5k imac i7, 295x

i like safari, and firefox 2 RC3.
for me firfox 2 RC3 helps me alot because i really suck at spelling and has a built in spell check when typing. but i like the looks of safari

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Camino is my favourite browser. It is lightweight, simple and powerful.
QUOTE Thanks
middigit

middigit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz

wouldn't know about the intel models polakbob, i have a g4 model myself. but from whats already been said, browser wise opera is my main browser - and to save some more memory you can turn off dashboard if you don't use it, the widgets take up cpu usage and memory too
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

By the way -- My Experiences with Opera were about the same as you described Firefox... Memory hog, I leave my browser on 24/7 and just constantly load/unload web pages.. Opera just ate CPU and RAM... (Which is funny, Opera on Linux and mostly on Win32 work really good).

But yes I use nearly exclusively Camino, with an occasional Safari when the situation arises Camino isn't displaying everything perfectly to my expectations.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new imac today | Please Help! »