New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - need some fedback on configuring a Mac Pro before purchase

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brice0501

Brice0501 is on a distinguished road

I am going to make the jump from my 17" powerbook to a Mac Pro. However, the configuration possibilities seem endless and I am not sure where to start/finish. This machine will be used for the typical stuff. Alot of graphics work as well as film editing and music production. I guess my main question is, more processor or more RAM? I have priced out like three machines and they all are hovering around the same price point but the configurations concern me. My mentality is that I can always add RAM to it later on so I should get the fastest processor and the 2GB of RAM initially, but maybe that is the wrong desicion? Here are my options.....but please, if you think of a better configuration for what i'll be using this machine for let me know. Also I will be using a 23" cinema display with it so do I need to upgrade my grpahics card from the standard issue? If so what are the benefits?

opt.1
Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
2GB (4 x 512MB)
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

vs.

opt.2
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4GB (4 x 1GB)

sorry for the naive questions, just want to make sure I get the right machine

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Faster processor, add RAM later from a 3rd party vendor.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would get 1GB stick in place of the 2 512MB sticks. That would leave you open to install more memory if needed. Also it would not hurt to bump the graphic card to 512MB.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Option 1.

QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Extra processor power beats more ram any day. Option 1. You can always add extra ram later and it also usually cheeper in price as time goes on. A good graphics card is also always a bonus.
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

I would go with option 1. Ram is useless unless what your doing can use it. faster processor helps in everything.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
mdavis71

mdavis71 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook

save your money and buy the ram yourself.. you can get it for at least 50% off up to 70% less.
QUOTE Thanks
DcDesmo

DcDesmo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66

Option 2, but hold off of the RAM, get more video card and add the RAM yourself at a later time (if you can stand running with 2G for the moment). The cost/benefit of the 3.0 processors is very, very unfavorable right now. Or wait a few months and see what happens with the Mac Pro - you might get those 3.0's as a mid level setup.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Well thats thown a spanner in the works, now he will never be able to decide. He he :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Brice0501

Brice0501 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the advice guys.

my biggest concern is running non native apps such as all my Adobe apps. I am about to finish my last qtr at graphic design school so I need a stable quick machine. The apple saleman assured me that even running through Rosetta my Adobe apps would still run faster than my 17" powerbook with 1gb of RAM, is he just blowin smoke?

as of now here is my configuration

Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
One 16x SuperDrive
Final Cut Express HD preinstalled
Accessory kit
Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Mac OS X - U.S. English
2GB (4 x 512MB)
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)

Last question, is there a place to find final cut express HD cheaper than $149?

again, thanks for the help

B
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 20" iMac or Mac Mini | Upgrade systems now? G4 PB to MBP and MP »