New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - about to buy a new imac g5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jeffreyz

im thinking of buying a new imac g5 intel. is there much different in speed with the 2ghz & 2.16ghz processor. And the 1gb & 2gb memory. i do alot of video editing. :p
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyz
im thinking of buying a new imac g5 intel. is there much different in speed with the 2ghz & 2.16ghz processor. And the 1gb & 2gb memory. i do alot of video editing. :p
And you won't notice a difference in processor speed, it is only 160mhz. Screen size and resolution is the big selling points in the comparison. 17" or 20" as well as higher screen resolution and screen real eastate in the 2.16ghz iMac.

Quote:
From the iMac memory section on Apple.com

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...LZBeZqP/2.?p=0

The more memory your computer has, the more programs you can run simultaneously, and the better performance you get from your computer. Increasing the amount of memory in your iMac is an easy way to improve performance.

How much memory is right for you?
Choose the standard 1GB of memory if you'll be photo editing, gaming, creating illustrations or building complex presentations.
The 2GB option is ideal if you plan to use your system regularly for sound design, video editing, DVD authoring, animation and intensive gaming.
Max out your memory with the 3GB option to enjoy the highest performance for everything you do.
Your iMac uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today--667 MHz, double data rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor.
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

hmmm wow you must have the ultimate computer! This imac your buying must be real impressive to have a G5 processor and an intel one. That is on seperate mobo's right?
HAHA i am joking around there is only an intel imac or a g5 imac. No g5 intel. But they are both fast and get 2 gb for video.

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Also Intel Core 2 Duo not G5 Intel. G5 is the predecessor to the Intel iMacs. As mentioned above...so this is an edit since I see it was mentioned before I hit reply. Just friendly banter! Also edited my previous post with more info on the 2.0 vs. 2.16
QUOTE Thanks
jeffreyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMania55
hmmm wow you must have the ultimate computer! This imac your buying must be real impressive to have a G5 processor and an intel one. That is on seperate mobo's right?
HAHA i am joking around there is only an intel imac or a g5 imac. No g5 intel. But they are both fast and get 2 gb for video.
ha ha ha pick on the slow kid :dive:
QUOTE Thanks
jeffreyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMania55
i have a 700mhz g4 right now is the new intel gonna be fast ( like night to day)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My 24 inch imac is dead :-( | newbie issues »