photoflow
    Video RAM upgrade worth it?
    greetings, just got my new iMac 20 w/2GB RAM. I ordered it w/the upgrade to 256MB VRAM but it only came w/128 (the std). Apple has offered me a refund for the upgrade (75-), plus an additional 50- for my troubles... So, is the upgrade to 256GB VRAM worth it? I do a lot of Photoshop. This system is a bit slow w/Photoshop at the moment, but the upcoming version of PS should fly. Anyway, take the $ and run? or send it back and get the 256MB? Thanks!!

I would get the 256MB of video RAM because you never when you'll need it and since you can't upgrade like the regular RAM just let them upgrade the VRAM to what you ordered. Did they tell you how long it would take to fix their mistake? Good luck with your new purchase with whatever you decide to do.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by photoflow
    So, is the upgrade to 256GB VRAM worth it? I do a lot of Photoshop.
    No. Photoshop is 2D. More VRAM isn't going to enhance a 2D application.
    This system is a bit slow w/Photoshop at the moment, but the upcoming version of PS should fly.
    That is because it is running under Rosetta.
    Anyway, take the $ and run?
    Sounds like a plan to me. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

photoflow
    Tie-Breaker Anyone?
    Thanks, both of these replies make sense; I've been told that PS will run better w/more VRAM by others-and you're right, VRAM can't be upgraded on these all-in-ones. Yet, I have also been told in the past (and w/one reply here) that higher VRAM doesn't matter when runnning Photoshop.. humm, $125- buys a lot of yummy drink! Anyone else care to add something?

sursuciofla
    It doesn't matter man. Guess what I run PS on? 32MB. And I use it on PowerMac with a heck of a lot more than 32 and I have not noticed a bit of difference. Only matters when you get into 3D.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Yet, I have also been told in the past (and w/one reply here) that higher VRAM doesn't matter when runnning Photoshop...
    And that is the correct answer :black:
    The only time that more VRAM matters is when you are doing heavy 3D work like games, 3D modeling/rendering with apps like Maya, and depending on what apps you use sometimes it can help with editing video. Still, that is only really needed if you are planning on doing those kinds of things on a daily, and I mean every-stinkin-day-daily basis as part of your job and livelyhood.
    Outside of those things, everyday 2D work (like photo editing/manipulation with Photoshop) will do just the same on 256MB VRAM as it does on 128MB VRAM. There will be no difference.
    What will enhance work with Photoshop is system RAM, which you appear to have plenty of.
    :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

DB knows his stuff. And the more he talks, the more I learn.

photoflow
    thanks for the input!
    Thanks for the advice, I wish Adobe would stop telling people that for max performance you need more than 128MB VRAM (it's on one of their Tech Advice sites). Everyone here seems to really know there stuff.. I'm sure that I'll be back with many more ?'s in the near future. And it looks like I'll be putting the $ towards a new Epson 2400 printer, yippee! Got ink?

Thread Information