New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - 2.16GHz or 2.33GHz?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

freakout

I've been configuring and reconfiguring my iMac order to fit my loose budget, and I was wondering if the upgrade from the 2.16GHz processor to the 2.33GHz processor is worth the $250? What category of use would the 2.33GHz fall under? (Like "it's only good for people that use big programs like final cut pro")

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Marl Huss

Marl Huss will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

Well the 2.33GHz could add some performance increase however its only around 200MHz more, and at least from benchmarks ive seen adds little in the way of more power under most usage. Ive been running Photoshop CS2 (which runs under Rosetta) and at 2.16GHz with 1GB of RAM its running sharp and smooth, it handles multi tasking great as well.

Personally I would save the 250 but it might be best to go to a Apple store and test both if you think you need the extra 200MHz.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakout
What category of use would the 2.33GHz fall under? (Like "it's only good for people that use big programs like final cut pro")
It would fall under the "look at me, I spent $250 more to have the 'biggest and best' iMac I could buy at the current time" category. :black:
Seriously, the 170 Mhz difference is hardly noticable.
I would skip the 2.33 Ghz and use that money to get more RAM from a 3rd party retailer.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Bizquik

Bizquik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24 inch imac 4 gig ram 320 gig hdd. MB C2D 320 gig hd 4 gig ram, 8 gig iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
It would fall under the "look at me, I spent $250 more to have the 'biggest and best' iMac I could buy at the current time" category. :black:
I would skip the 2.33 Ghz and use that money to get more RAM from a 3rd party retailer.
I agree here. Spend the extra money on ram. It will pay off in the long run.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy_M

Andy_M has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb

More ram = More power (Ram = a Type of goat with extreme pushing power) lol
QUOTE Thanks
ripfrankwhite

ripfrankwhite will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
You still recommend 3rd party ram with Apples low price? I couldn't find any that beat Apples price. Any vendors you recommend?
QUOTE Thanks
geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
You still recommend 3rd party ram with Apples low price? I couldn't find any that beat Apples price. Any vendors you recommend?
Do you mean that you can't buy two 1 GB sticks from a third party cheaper than the upgrade from 1 GB to 2 GB on the iMac? From what I've seen it is close. As far as buying the RAM from Apple goes, two 1 GB PC2-5300 sticks are $600. The upgrade price ($250) is close to what you'll pay for new third party RAM without factoring in selling the old RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
freakout

I already know about the ram, I will be upgrading to 2GB (3GB is a little steep for me, I don't think I need it either) but I wasn't sure about the processor, so I think I'll pass. Thanks for the help guys! Saved me $250. =P
QUOTE Thanks
freakout

Also, (I know it's not really on the subject but I found it useless to start a new thread) if I purchase the 3 year Apple protection plan, it says "up to 3 years of world class support"

Does this also extend the WARRANTY to 3 years? Or just support?

And, is the GPU worth upgrading to 256MB? Will it make a difference? What category of use?

Thanks again for all you're guys help, this is a fantastic forum. Thank God for google!
QUOTE Thanks
Marl Huss

Mac Specs: iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

I upgraded the GPU becuase if I ever wanted to play games then I most likely could, also because some apps such as graphically intense apps, modeling apps etc would benefit from the extra power.

However the extra GPU power will not really benefit iTunes, iLife apps and other built in programs as far as im aware. Im pretty sure Final Cut does not even benefit from the extra power, but not too sure about that one.
QUOTE Thanks
freakout

So really the only upgrade that's noticeably useful is the RAM? Right?
QUOTE Thanks
geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac

Useful to whom?
QUOTE Thanks
Marl Huss

The RAM is the most noticeable improvement in the broadest sense, however depending what you do then others can be great improvements to, if you do gaming, 3D modeling etc then the GPU upgrade would be great for you.
QUOTE Thanks
jtp51

jtp51 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" - 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT w/256; Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel

I might have missed something here, can you - on your own - upgrade the iMac 24" Ram?

--Todd
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp51
I might have missed something here, can you - on your own - upgrade the iMac 24" Ram?
Yes, indeed you can!!! :black:

There should be instructions in manual but there are plenty of online instructions as well like this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/ne...ever-01271218/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sleeping iMacs | helppppppp changing drive »