New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Buying my first MAC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hulk_SMASH

I'm torn between which I should get:

Mac Mini: If I get this I'll definately be upgrading it to 2GB, a 7200rpm drive and a T7200 Core2Duo processor. I'll not do it all at once, it'll be gradual over about a year but if costs hold at the level they're at now it'll total $1125(including the cost of the mini itself). The thing I LIKE about the mini is the small size.

The other option is to bite the bullet and drop $1099 now on an iMAC with the Core2Duo and 7200rpm drive, monitor, keyboard and mouse already included. The only thing I DON'T like about this option is the built in monitor so if it ever gets stuck pixels or goes out then the whole machine is down until it is fixed even if it's worth it to fix.

Any suggestions or other pros and cons I'm missing?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I don't think Core2Duos work in the Mac Mini, only CoreDuos.

But, yea, I got the Mac Mini. I'm getting a 37" monitor, though, so the built in monitor of the iMac would have been of no use to me.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Hulk_SMASH

the Core2Duos work fine as long at their Meroms, denoted with T5xxx or T7xxx
QUOTE Thanks
geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac

What will you be using for a monitor with the mini? If you are going to get something in the 17" to 24" range then it seems that paying for the mini given that you plan to upgrade some components to components already offered on the iMac doesn't make a lot of sense. I suppose a problem with the LCD display is possible, but how likely is it? I haven't seen any hard numbers for the failure rates of LCDs, but it seems that it isn't that high. Most reputable things I've read seem to indicate that most LCD failures are the DOA type.
QUOTE Thanks
Hulk_SMASH

currently I'm going to share it via a switch with the 15" CRT I'm using with my PC, but I'm eventually going to get a 17" or 19" Widescreen.
QUOTE Thanks
Hulk_SMASH

Well, I bought the Mini. Has been great. Very pleased. Working on getting bootcamp going.
QUOTE Thanks
Marl Huss

Marl Huss will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

Congrats
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

You're gonna try and change the processor in the mini? Good luck. Really, you'll need it.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Hulk_SMASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
You're gonna try and change the processor in the mini? Good luck. Really, you'll need it.
Typical fraidy cat Mac user. Changing a processor is simple in ANY machine and the only part even remotely challenging about the mini is the case. Once you've seen the "wire technique" demonstrated a couple of times though it is just as easy as anything else. Why pay somebody to do something that I've been doing for 15 years? The biggest thing I've noticed since buying a Mac is how unknowledeable Mac users are and how downright scared they are to do anything to their machines that may "void the warranty" GASP!!!!! I find it laughable. My pal Fugger over over at Extreme Systems has disassembled and reconfigurated MANY minis. His is currently running a Core2Duo Merom with a 7200rpm Hard Drive and a Superdrive. It was originally a Core Solo with the CDRW in it. Soon, mine will be too. I'm just wiating to see what the news and release date on the Core2Quadro will be :spook:
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

That's exciting news about the Core2Duos, I really thought they wouldn't work.

I recently got a 1.66Ghz CoreDuo Mini and am looking to upgrade, so I'll definitely have a look at the Core2Duo. What clock rate is "Fugger" running and where did he buy his processor?

Got a link to the "wire" technique video/tutorial? I've seen the "putty knife" technique and it didn't look too hard, but the user who did the tutorial scratched up his case pretty badly.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Hulk_SMASH

Fugger has access to engineering samples so he got a hold of a T7400 (2.16ghz) and dropped it straight into the mini no problems.
This isn't Fugger's but another guy who did it: http://macenstein.com/default/archives/323

And here is the wire method, time consuming but not difficult and you won't scratch the heck out of your pretty mini:
http://www.macminihacks.org/viewtopic.php?t=12

Here, this link is better:
http://homepage.mac.com/macaholicg5/PhotoAlbum12.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Soon to be proud owner of 24" iMac! | iMac RAM question... »