New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac Temperature Sensors?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

My Intel iMac (2.0GHZ dual core) doesn't appear to have temperature sensors... is this correct? I've searched around the board and no doubt it's mentioned but I can't find anything useful on it.

I've only noticed because of one of my widgets that can monitor CPU performance and temperature says there's no sensors? Seems strange... how does it control the fans without temp monitoring?
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

I don't think that the iMac does have any temperature sensors. I believe that they only put them in the laptop range.
QUOTE Thanks
olias

olias is on a distinguished road

Yes it does...I use this ---> http://macbricol.free.fr/coreduotemp/

A wise man realizes that he too is a fool and then humbles himself to learn that which is greater than he.
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Thanks for that Olias, exactly what I was looking for 31C ... or thereabouts. nice one. Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

Cool, I have just installed that. It looks good.
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Nice thing is that includes the kernel extension for reading the temperatures, so now my existing monitoring widget (iStat) can pick up the same temp. readings for itself
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
Nice thing is that includes the kernel extension for reading the temperatures, so now my existing monitoring widget (iStat) can pick up the same temp. readings for itself
Hey Jem... Can you post the extensions, and how to get the iStat to read it???

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

I just went to Olias's link and downloaded CoreDuoTemp v1.0 and the CoreDuoTemp Widget. I installed them both and checked the widget was working, then popped to the settings for iStat and noticed that I could now enable the temperature monitoring.

I'm pretty sure CoreDuoTemp v1.0 is all you need as it installs SpeedIt, and SpeedIt is the kernel extension (I believe... can't see the details on the site but I think I read this elsewhere).
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
vettnutt

vettnutt is on a distinguished road

I installed the Coreduotemp and have a few questions. It seems to read the temp OK but why does it indicate a 1.0 GHz clock speed when I'm running a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo? Also, what is an acceptable temp range it should read before I should wory about a high temp? Thanks...
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettnutt View Post
I installed the Coreduotemp and have a few questions. It seems to read the temp OK but why does it indicate a 1.0 GHz clock speed when I'm running a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo? Also, what is an acceptable temp range it should read before I should wory about a high temp? Thanks...
im not sure about this its just a guess but

does it only enable both cores when it needs the power? like photoshop or final cut pro etc.

just a GUESS

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
slinki

slinki is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. Gave me an error.
QUOTE Thanks
fuzion1029

fuzion1029 is on a distinguished road

Try iStat Pro. it's a free widget that tells you all about ur system.

LINK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quantum Fireballp Lm30.0 | video card problem »