New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Connecting HDTV to iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac

I have a couple of questions about connecting my iMac to my HDTV. I have a 24" iMac with the nVidia 7600GT card and I would like to connect it to my Samsung 40" LCD tv which has 1366x768 native resolution.

1. Can I connect it and run it at HDTV resolutions using an VGA connector? I assume that I can since monitors can connect on this and support higher resolutions that my tv, but I want to be sure before I order an adapter. My tv has a PC input that is VGA and the manual says that it does not support PC connection over the HDMI connection so it seems that connecting over the mini DVI to DVI adapter is out. Obviously the s-video/composite adapter is out as that would only support 480i.

2. Can the iMac output 1366x768 to the tv? That is the native resolution of the TV so that is ideally what I would want to output to it.

Thanks!

-Geoff
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I have never seen an mini DVI to RGB adapter so I am not sure

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
geoffstgermaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
I have never seen an mini DVI to RGB adapter so I am not sure
True, I meant to say VGA.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

In that case you would be fine getting the mini DVI to VGA adapter

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
cb.studios

The new HDMI is a DVI port. It's simple smaller to save space on the in's and out's of things (example: iMacs have that dvi port on the back to save on putting a full DVI plug in). If you want a crisper image you need to use your DVI wich is digital (VGA is not as crisp).

Thats wierd that your manual says that. Your HDTV is nothing but a computer monitor.

What you need to do......

1. Buy the imac DVI to DVI adaptor for the back of the computer.

2. Buy a DVI cable that is the lenghth you'll need it to be to get to your HDTV.

3. Buy a DVI to HDMI adaptor for the TV.

Enjoy !!
QUOTE Thanks
geoffstgermaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb.studios
The new HDMI is a DVI port. It's simple smaller to save space on the in's and out's of things (example: iMacs have that dvi port on the back to save on putting a full DVI plug in). If you want a crisper image you need to use your DVI wich is digital (VGA is not as crisp).

Thats wierd that your manual says that. Your HDTV is nothing but a computer monitor.

What you need to do......

1. Buy the imac DVI to DVI adaptor for the back of the computer.

2. Buy a DVI cable that is the lenghth you'll need it to be to get to your HDTV.

3. Buy a DVI to HDMI adaptor for the TV.

Enjoy !!
The mini DVI to DVI adapter is on the way. I have also read a couple of reviews of several Samsung LCD TV models that say the same thing; They couldn't get it to work properly over the HDMI input. One of the reviews said that the only TVs that they'd seen support computer DVI properly were Westinghouse and Sceptre. The adapter should be here soon so I'll see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp, WinXP, Vistual Studio? | imac G3 »