New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G3 Upgrade to G4?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ChineseElite

Alright.

I have a friend who has a Powermac G3 and is rather sick of it's speed to be frank. My question to you is,
a) Can a Powermac G3 be upgraded to a G4?
b) Who would sell the parts/hardware neccessary to complete the upgrade?

Please excuse my ignorance if it is apperant that this is an extremely basic question, however I prefer to own computers where the hardware and software are not controlled by one entity ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
Wapa18

i'm pretty sure that there are G4 processor upgrade cards for power mac G3's. i know for sure that Sonnet Technologies makes them. i dunno about prices though, as i've never had need of one. hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
ChineseElite

Alright, thanks.

Now, let's say we can upgrade it. Do any of you have firsthand knowladge, or at least and opinoin, as to whether or not it is as good as a 'real' G4, what are the preformance advantages (using Photoshop7/Illustrator 10 mainly)? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

heres a company that can do what you are looking for.
www.newertech.com
im not sure that they can do exactly what you want but brouse the site im sure they have all the info you need.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« g4 wont start up any help very much appreciated | iMac or iBook? »