New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 Tower CD-DVD drive problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Studiotime

Hi everyone,

I have just acquired a G4 Tower and need to change the CD/DVD rom drive. I have tried every way I can think of bar taking an axe to the box. Is there anyone in here whom can help me with this matter.

Also it is running on a 400mhz processer. Does anyone know if this can be upgraded because even though it has a 1gig R.A.M. its slow. I would like to get it up to around 1ghz, is this possible?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Taking the drive out of a G4 tower is actually quite easy. When you drop the side off the machine, just inside the front there are 2 clips. Unclipping these drops the front drive doors off. You should see one or two screws - undo them and the whole drive assembly comes out.

If you are replacing your original drive with an aftermarket drive, you might need to remove the silver tape around the enclosure and extend it a couple of notches. Put the silver tape back on and you're good to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Studiotime

Will try tonight cheers cazabam. Has anyone any idea on the processor problem.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light

Have a look at the Sonnet or PowerLogix processor upgrade cards. They can take you well beyond 1GHz if you so desire.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Do you know if this is an AGP Graphics or PCI? There was a 400 that was PCI Only and called the Yikes and an AGP that was called the Sawtooth. I hope you have the AGP one as its a much better machine.

If you have the AGP Graphics G4/400, you can get up to a 1.8Ghz Single or even Dual 1.8Ghz CPU but it's not cheap. The 1Ghz one would be a lot cheeper. Check out Giga Designs, Sonnet and OWC.

http://www.gigadesigns.com/

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/cpu_upgrades.html

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accelerators/

That should help you a bit. If you need any help figuring which machine you have, let me know. I have both here at the house.

...Dennis
QUOTE Thanks
Studiotime

Cheers for the info Dennis,

How do I find out which processer I have. Do I have to take the processor fan and cover off and look at it directly or can I obtain the info through the operating system OSX 4.7?

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Do you know if this is an AGP Graphics or PCI? There was a 400 that was PCI Only and called the Yikes and an AGP that was called the Sawtooth. I hope you have the AGP one as its a much better machine.

If you have the AGP Graphics G4/400, you can get up to a 1.8Ghz Single or even Dual 1.8Ghz CPU but it's not cheap. The 1Ghz one would be a lot cheeper. Check out Giga Designs, Sonnet and OWC.

http://www.gigadesigns.com/

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/cpu_upgrades.html

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accelerators/

That should help you a bit. If you need any help figuring which machine you have, let me know. I have both here at the house.

...Dennis
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

It's not so much the processor as the model of PowerMac G4 that you have. There were 4 different ones, from the Yikes! (spelled with the !) which only had PCI, through AGP, gigabit ethernet and finally the 'mirrored drive doors' version.

There is a handy guide here to help you distinuish between them.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Cazabam, yep that was the site I was thinking of. I know about the ! in Yikes! but was lazy to post it. :spook:

The main thing to look for between the Yikes! and the AGP is the Speaker/Line In Jacks. As that picture shows, the Yikes or PCI has the Audio ports going right to left while the AGP they are one above the other going up and down. With a single 400 I doubt your Mac is anything other than those two.

Just checked Low End Mac and it apears they did make a 400Mhz Gigabit Ethernet also, but since the Upgrade CPU's are the same for both, it makes no difference.

Do let us know which Mac you have.
QUOTE Thanks
Studiotime

Its this one if that helps

Quote:
Cazabam, yep that was the site I was thinking of. I know about the ! in Yikes! but was lazy to post it. :spook:

The main thing to look for between the Yikes! and the AGP is the Speaker/Line In Jacks. As that picture shows, the Yikes or PCI has the Audio ports going right to left while the AGP they are one above the other going up and down. With a single 400 I doubt your Mac is anything other than those two.

Just checked Low End Mac and it apears they did make a 400Mhz Gigabit Ethernet also, but since the Upgrade CPU's are the same for both, it makes no difference.

Do let us know which Mac you have.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiotime
Its this one if that helps

When you get home look at the audio ports in the back. That will tell you which one it is. All the early G4 towers from the front look the same.
QUOTE Thanks
Studiotime

Looks like this... Any help?

Quote:
When you get home look at the audio ports in the back. That will tell you which one it is. All the early G4 towers from the front look the same.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

In that case it's a PowerMac G4 Digital Audio, which is one of the best of the bunch. The only real worry is if it's a Yikes!, because the were considered "road apples", i.e. Apples you buy with your eyes open.
QUOTE Thanks
Studiotime

I had a quick read of the link you sent me. My G4 has 4 R.A.M. slots, so I dont believe it is a G3 in a G4's body.

HOW DO I KNOW IF IT IS A YIKES! Is there a tell tale sign to look for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazabam
In that case it's a PowerMac G4 Digital Audio, which is one of the best of the bunch. The only real worry is if it's a Yikes!, because the were considered "road apples", i.e. Apples you buy with your eyes open.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

If you are sure it's a 400Mhz CPU, then it can not be a Digital Audio. They came in 466Mhz and up. Like I said, check the placement of the Audio jacks and check that url that Cabzbam showed. It will tell you what system it is. In OSX if you click on the Apple and About this Mac it will tell you the CPU speed.
QUOTE Thanks
Studiotime

Will Check and make sure tonight thanks for all your help. Might be time to spash out on a new G5 I feel.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need HELP!! | mini-VGA to VGA adapter problem »