New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Im New to Imac was a PC user

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sexymuffin

sexymuffin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 1ghz 256mb ram

Hello this is my 1st post.

Ive won an Imac. Yipee!!!
Im a PC user and have only used an apple computer once before 5 years ago. I tried the one Ive won today in PCWORLD and its very stylish and swish but aint got the foggiest what I can do with it.
I use my PC currently for burning DVD/CD's and internet as Ive got a PS2 for gaming.

The one Ive won is the 999 quid cheapest current imac model.

So questions:

Will my software from my PC work on it?
Such as Microsoft office 97/2000?

It comes with an internal 56k modem but Ive got BT broadband- will it be as simple as plugging my adsl modem into the usb port installing the BT software and going online?

Ive just bough an internal DVD writer which I would like to install in my new IMAC but I doubt this can be done- the new IMAC comes with CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo driver but I would prefer DVD-r capability. Is it possible to buy upgrades from APPLE?

What features has my new IMAC got which a PC has not apart from looking prettier?

Any other information is aprreciated which could be relevant.

Last question do you think I'l ever change back to PC.

Cheers sorry for all the questions
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexymuffin
Hello this is my 1st post.

Ive won an Imac. Yipee!!!
Im a PC user and have only used an apple computer once before 5 years ago. I tried the one Ive won today in PCWORLD and its very stylish and swish but aint got the foggiest what I can do with it.
I use my PC currently for burning DVD/CD's and internet as Ive got a PS2 for gaming.

The one Ive won is the 999 quid cheapest current imac model.
Congrats thats still a great prize

Quote:
So questions:

Will my software from my PC work on it?
Such as Microsoft office 97/2000?
Unfortunately most software will not work straight from the PC CD especially microsoft products. You will have to look at the system requirements for cd and see if they list the mac requirements or have a mac logo on the disc or jewel case

Quote:
It comes with an internal 56k modem but Ive got BT broadband- will it be as simple as plugging my adsl modem into the usb port installing the BT software and going online?
I am not familiar with ADSL or BT's methods of connecting so I can't help here but there are some BT users on the board I believe

Quote:
Ive just bough an internal DVD writer which I would like to install in my new IMAC but I doubt this can be done- the new IMAC comes with CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo driver but I would prefer DVD-r capability. Is it possible to buy upgrades from APPLE?
I don't think that apple sells superdrives and I am pretty sure you can't bring it to a store to get upgraded but I have not tried this nor do I have an iMac

Quote:
What features has my new IMAC got which a PC has not apart from looking prettier?
Much stabler, more secure (viruses, spyware, spam [Mail.app has an excellent filter]), much easier to use

Quote:
Any other information is aprreciated which could be relevant.
Nothing off the top of my head but you can look around here for lots of threads that might help you

Quote:
Last question do you think I'l ever change back to PC.
I wouldn't

Quote:
Cheers sorry for all the questions
Not a problem
Enjoy your new iMac

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Apple

It seems all your questions have been answered bar one.
Its simple to hook up to the internet just plug your broadband into the ethernet slot in the back,
Then go to network in system preferances, system preferances is on the dock, click on network and there should be an option to automatically detect settings.
hope that helps.

enjoy your mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Dexter1912

I know in england BT do do broadband for macs my dad runs a 333Mhz Imac with a usd alctael modem runs no probs
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyturner

i work for BT broadband *yuck*

yes you can use your voyager USB modem on the mac, although there are sometimes issues with panther, if you get stuck just email me jonnyturner@dsl.pipex.com and ill get you all sorted out
QUOTE Thanks

Sticky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4

http://www.dslshop.co.uk/330datasheet.asp

would this usb modem work on a mac, it can only connect via usb and not ethernet.

will it work????
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where's my iMac!?!?!? | A few hardware / technical questions about the imac g5 / osx »