New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Hdtv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eric4321

eric4321 is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a 20 inch iMac, I also ordered a TV Tuner from El Gato.
My question is, will I be able to watch HDTV on my mac or does that require one of the cinema displays?
A second question, are shipping delays common with apple? My girlfriend bought a iMac a month ago, the day before it was suppose to ship out, she got an email saying it would be delayed and will ship out in over a week.
Thursday, the day before my imac was suppose to ship out, I got the same email.
I've been sending them a ton of emails, because I need this computer before college classes start, I can't go a week of class with no computer. I just keep getting the same crap response though, "We are sorry for any inconvienence."
QUOTE Thanks
sleepyjohn

sleepyjohn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G3

I'm going to jump into your thread as I don't seem to be able to start a topic and I have a similar question.

I have a Macbook. Can I use a tuner card or something and use my book as a VCR or DVR so I can record and playback TV programs.
High Def not at all necessary.

Thanx and sorry to butt in.....
QUOTE Thanks
eric4321

To answer your post, yes you can.
You want the El Gato 250.
www.elgato.com
QUOTE Thanks
sleepyjohn

sleepyjohn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric4321
To answer your post, yes you can.
You want the El Gato 250.
www.elgato.com
Thanx for the v quick reply Eric.
The eyeTV from elGato looks great, but when I filled in the two drop down boxes for a product search, with
1. Thailand, where I live
2. Digital Satellite signal

I got no results.
Obviously I have a satellite decoder box. Would the signal coming out of this be inputtable to the eyetv?? Are they just saying their product won't do the decoder's job?

cheers....
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Quote:
I recently purchased a 20 inch iMac, I also ordered a TV Tuner from El Gato.
My question is, will I be able to watch HDTV on my mac or does that require one of the cinema displays?
A second question, are shipping delays common with apple? My girlfriend bought a iMac a month ago, the day before it was suppose to ship out, she got an email saying it would be delayed and will ship out in over a week.
Thursday, the day before my imac was suppose to ship out, I got the same email.
I've been sending them a ton of emails, because I need this computer before college classes start, I can't go a week of class with no computer. I just keep getting the same crap response though, "We are sorry for any inconvienence."
Nahh you can watch HDTV on your iMac, why would the iMac screen be any different than an Apple Cinema Display? Think about that for a second...

And No, usually Apple ships a LOT earlier than they say they will. If you're having problems, call them and talk to someone there, see if they can fix your problem. Usually Apple Tech support is very friendly, and it's based in California so you don't need to deal with hard to understand accents.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
eric4321

Well I was just going by what someone said. They told me only 23 and 30 inch displays supported HDTV.
But yeah, I've been talking to Apple through email, hasn't gotten me anywhere, I'll call tomorrow.
I literally NEED the computer on Wednesday, so I'm hoping I can convince them. Worse comes to worse I'll drop a BBB threat, that's gotten companies moving for me in the past.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
My question is, will I be able to watch HDTV on my mac or does that require one of the cinema displays? HDTV.
I use Elegato's EyeTV on my 20" WideScreen iMac G5 and have no probs accessing HDTV.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice on Mac Mini | Mac G5 can't find my HD »