1GB memory for Intel 20" imac
    Hey all....

I received my new Intel Duo Core 20" iMac a couple of weeks ago and I customized it to 1GB of memory.

I hear that it is best to throw the maximum amount of memory in the new iMacs....I would notice a difference...

I looked on the Apple website for another 1GB stick to add into it and I have some questions:

1) Can I do the installation of the memory myself or does this void the warranty?
    2) Is there any other websites/places that would be cheaper to buy the memory from?
    3) What make and or specifications of RAM am I looking for?

Thanks...I am loving the new MAC world!

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    just so you know this topic has been covered 9 millioni times, please use the search function before posting next time.

to answer your questions
    ram is user servicable like stated in your user manual
    every website in the world is cheaper than apple.com in order to purchase memory, i use newegg.com
    make of ram doesnt matter, it is all in the specs, the specs are listed in your user manual
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Installing ram your self on iMacs is usually more tricky than I like to tamper with... I know on my iMac it requires glue, which I don't want to deal with :biohazard

Yes, the more ram you have the longer you will be happy with your mac and faster your mac will run for.. that longer period of time. (with new software updates and OSes of course its going to run slower, but ram is a shot of B12)

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    graphite what are you talking about?! lol

okay so you also have to remember that added a certain amount of ram is oging to help, but the rest might just be wasted space. when you use your computer monitory your 'activity monitor' and see if and how often you are running out of ram....if you never run out of free ram you dont need it and the purchase will be a waste of money
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    Yeah I would probably wait until you are sure that you need more RAM. I just bought 2 x 1 GB modules from otherworldcomputing.com and they are not the cheapest, but they are not the most expensive either and whenever I use their memory I get a huge speed increase.

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    I got a 1Gb RAM chip for my Wife's 20 inch iMac for $74 at Fry's. Installation was a snap*, no pun intended, and the machine runs great!

*No glue required.....

Thread Information