New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - DVI problems on Mac Mini PPC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smmcbride

Hi everyone. I recently picked up a PPC based Mac Mini (my first Mac!) and even more recently a Dell 2405FPW lcd monitor to replace my old CRT.

Using the DVI-to-VGA adapter that came with the Mini I'm able to view the output at the full 1920x1200x60Hz resolution and many resolutions below that.

However, removing the DVI-to-VGA adapter and plugging directly into the monitor's DVI-D input results in a blank screen. Removing the DVI cable from the Mini puts the monitor into a self-test mode so it seems like the monitor senses the disconnect.

So, I'm now wondering if my monitor's DVI-D input is busted or if the digital output on the Mini is not functioning or somehow disabled? I'm not quite sure what to try next. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks, Shawn
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

Did you verify that you changed the input to DVI on the monitor? Most displays with multiple inputs have to be explcitly told which input to use because you could have various things connected to it just like any modern TV.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

What type of cable are you using?

Make sure it's not a DVI-A cable as the mini probably won't support that dvi type. You'll need a DVI-I or DVI-D cable.

Also make sure the correct input is set in your monitor's on-screen menu.
QUOTE Thanks
smmcbride

Yes, I am switching the input. There's a button on the front of the monitor to switch between the 5(!!!) different inputs.

The monitors input is DVI-D; The cable I'm using is the monitor-supplied DVI-D cable. It looks just like the DVI-I adapter but without the 4 pins surrounding the flat bar.

Thanks for the suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Have you tried a cold start with the dvi cable connected?

So, turn everything off, connect the cable and turn both on...shouldn't really make a difference, but maybe worth a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
smmcbride

Tried that as well with no luck. Once it's been on for a couple of minutes I can switch the cable/input to VGA and my desktop pops right up. I have a new monitor on it's way to me so I'll find out soon if that's the problem...
QUOTE Thanks
smmcbride

Well, the second monitor showed up and I'm getting the exact same symptoms. Does anyone know of anything else I could try?
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

I am clueless at this point. According to http://www.freewebs.com/themagius/macintoshmini.htm it should work.

If you have a local Apple store, take your mini in and they can check it out (connect it to an Apple display). That would help in determining if the problem is with the mini itself (bad port).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« n00b Help | Dual montor for G5 »