New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Mini ram upgrade question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Negrophiliac

Negrophiliac is on a distinguished road

Well I have my duo mini, she's great. But as I've contuned to use more complecated and beafy programs, even World Of Warcraft, I've decided that 1 gb of ram is in order. Although I'm kicking myself that I didn't get it with 1 gb in the first place it still has to be done...

So, obvousily I have the standard 512 mb ram, but I'm not sure if I need to get a full gb and replace what I have, or just to throw in another 512 on top of the one I already got in there.

That's one question ^.^

Another is that there is no way I'm gonig to do this myself. One because I'm not confident in my abilities, another because I don't know what warrinties I would void >.<

So I guess my second question is how I would go about getting it installed. As in where to by the right one, along with where and/or how to get it installed reliabily

Any insight on any of this is appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this and thats for taking any time to respond to it ! :black:

:black:
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303378

Apple says
Quote:
Additional memory should be installed by an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
. Many mini owners choose to do it themselves (much cheaper that way) but it's a tricky process involving a putty knife.

Any damage you cause will certainly not be covered by warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

No matter how much ram you put in it World of Warcraft is always going to be slow because of the GMA950 graphics.
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

From what I've read, the act of upgrading the RAM yourself will void NO warranties, but any damage you cause will NOT be covered.

I watched a quicktime movie at http://media.macsales.com/videos/min...l/highres.html that was very good (no, I have no reason to open my Mac at this time, so I didn't try it).

Do a search on this forum as there is a particular brand and model of putty knife that works great...others will have to be filed down with sandpaper to make them slim enough to fit. The number 1 thing about opening the mini is to take your time - go slow.

For the actual upgrade, you will have to buy 2 512 MB DIMMs - Apple doesn't leave an open slot from their factory installs.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303378

Apple says. Many mini owners choose to do it themselves (much cheaper that way) but it's a tricky process involving a putty knife.
And reportedly much trickier on the Intel minis than it was on the G4 ones.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
aveda6

aveda6 is on a distinguished road

I just finished upgrading the RAM and it's actually relatively easy. The quicktime video from OWC made it quite simple. The only real trick I had was releasing the clips for the SODIMM slots. They're not the most robust and one actually popped off. It didn't make a difference, the RAM went in fairly easily. The nice thing about the video instructions is that they highlight the important information, like how to remove the antennae so you don't damage anything. I did leave a couple of scuff marks on the bottom of my mini but it was well worth the savings. I was able to pick up a 2 x 1gb pack of RAM with overnight delivery for $150. The upgraded RAM has made a huge difference in the performance of my machine.

jim
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah the intel mini's are quite a bit trickier than the PowerPC models, but as long as you follow the instructions carefully, it can be done.

But I wouldn't recommend it if you've never done this sort of thing before...
QUOTE Thanks
Negrophiliac

Thanks for all the insight so far,
Alright, I've just finished watching the movie... while your inside it seems simple enough if you just go slowly...

Only thing I don't trust is prying off the chassie with the puddy knife >.<

So... if I were to send it in somewhere does it have to be an apple specific retail store or something like, oh lets say future shop or bestbuy? ^.^

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Unfortunately, no.

Your mac mini has 2x 256 MB of RAM in there, if you ordered the standard configuration. (You can check under apple->about this mac-> more info->memory).

So I'd either go for 1x1GB & 1x256MB or 2x1GB (paired RAM supposedly gives you a slight performance benefit).
QUOTE Thanks
Jonnyfive

Jonnyfive has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD

My goodness, what an ordeal to change that hardware. I wonder why they do that?

White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Negrophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyfive
My goodness, what an ordeal to change that hardware. I wonder why they do that?
Lol,oh yes, why ever would they do that? It most certainily wasn't done on purpose... *wink*wink*

But once again, the only thing I'm afraid of is the putty-knife-prying... I really don't want to bend and/or crack my chassy >.<

QUOTE Thanks
Jonnyfive

Jonnyfive has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD

That's really lame if they made it so people would pay to get it upgraded by an apple certified tech. If I were a tech I would be annoyed that it's so stupid to open, I am sure some of the cases have to get broken in the process from time to time.

It could be maybe because it is a consumer level computer, not really meant to mucked around with. Consider the powermacs which are professional level and how easy they are to open and work with.

That's what I would like to believe anyways...

White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Negrophiliac

Ok, so just as an atempt to sum this up... I should just go for some Ram at like TigerDirect and take it from there, right?

Uhm, and just to make myself sound like an idiot; I don't any specific ram do I? Just the regular that works with everything? >.<

QUOTE Thanks
macdillon

macdillon is a jewel in the roughmacdillon is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.

I have WoW and 2 gigs of RAM, and I have to use all the setting on low for a decent FPS rate.

She doesn't get enough cocaine
She doesn't get enough hard
She doesn't get enough pure
She doesn't get enough
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« added memory but computer does not recognise | Possible new mac owner - help me decide »