New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Intel Mac Pro to run on the Xeon 5100 Series Chips (Woodcrest)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

Found elsewhere on the web:

AppleInsider claims they have confirmation that Apple will be using Intel's Xeon 5100 series processors, also known as "Woodcrest" to power their next generation Intel-based Mac Pro Workstations.

Previous claims indicated that the Mac Pro would continue the Quad-core tradition set by the latest batch of PowerMac G5's. However, in order for an Intel-based "Quad" to be developed, a multi-processor machine would be required, which inherently leaves out the use of Core 2 Duo "Conroe" based microprocessors, as they do not support multi-processor configurations.

Of note, ThinkSecret has maintained that they believe the Mac Pro will utilize Core 2 Duo (Conroe).

Additionally, AppleInsider speculates that Conroe may be used in a future iMac revision, while Merom will be used in future MacBook Pros and Yonah will remain in the MacBook and Mac Mini.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Well, this should be interesting to see what come out.....

QUOTE Thanks
ThaXStank

ThaXStank is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine

yeah their saying the highest model willbe , a quad , 5100 xeon, thats rediculous , but you never know
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

No, I suspect it will be, and it might even make my Quad look inexpensive too...

QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

I used to work at Intel in the processor division that made these chips. I can tell you that this information is indeed accurate, regarding the next Pro Mac using the Xeon proc. Those suckers are gonna *scream* in a quad configuration.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
Scroatdog

Scroatdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
I used to work at Intel in the processor division that made these chips. I can tell you that this information is indeed accurate, regarding the next Pro Mac using the Xeon proc. Those suckers are gonna *scream* in a quad configuration.

That is the best news I've heard all day!!! That's great! I was hoping for a quad-core Woodcrest "Mac Pro'.

**** Apple crack!!! Now I'm gonna be out some real $$$ when this thing comes out. I'll bet the thing is going to be lightning fast.

1) Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GHz, iWork, Ilife 06, Logic Pro, Office 2K4
2) A PC with a bunch of stuff in it.
QUOTE Thanks
G.9

Is Woodcrest Intel's current Itanium processor? God... I saw on newegg that one Core 2 Extreme processor from Intel costs $1300... I wonder then, what will this Woodcrest/Itanium cost? So the processor goes at 2600... with hdd, bumping to 2750, memory up to 2850... video card 3100... rest of the components, including the case 3500. That's 200 above the current starting price. Do you think they'll release a black Mac Pro... and stamp on a $150 color price premium? >.<

In addition, for those of you who are planning/already have quads... what do you use them for? Personally, I think they are overkill... especially for the price. But that depends on usage. I only do light gaming (planning to run Vista on it when it comes out), web design, music production, and podcasting. When I'm developing, I usually have a lot of apps open... like Photoshop, ImageReady, Dreamweaver, and Flash running all at the same time... along with say iTunes and Mozilla Firefox.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.9
Is Woodcrest Intel's current Itanium processor?

No, it is the follow on to the current line....

QUOTE Thanks
G.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
No, it is the follow on to the current line....
I see... so one of these.

Also, someone make a response to my statement about quads being overkill... thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

I probably don't use mine for everything I could. I've been ripping my DVD collection to iPod Video format, so crunching with 4 processors makes it go much faster. I got mine for less than $3000 from Apple, so it wasn't a bad deal.

The prices on those Woodcrests are pretty steep. I would expect to see the initial Mac offering in 2.66 or 3 Ghz...

QUOTE Thanks
G.9

I see... so my uses... do they qualify? I'll be ripping DVDs as well.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

I'd say with the music production and Photoshop, not to mention DVD ripping, you might be a good candidate. The question is, how much are you willing to pay for an Intel Quad? I suspect they will be steep, steeper than the current models....

QUOTE Thanks
G.9

I have a very flexible budget. Anything over $4000 is stretching it though.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

You might be in luck then.....

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will the mac mini work for me? | RAM on an iMac G4 »