New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G3 233 not booting from new 7200rpm hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

clinthammer

I am the IT coordinator at an ad firm and roughly a month ago before I left on a weekd vacation, the IMAC - which we use as a fax machine - performed fine. Even on the day before I left, i ran like a charm. However, the next week when I was gone all hell broke loose with the IMAC as the cdrom died and hdd crashed.

Anyways, the secretary sent the machine to our maintenance vendors who diagnosed the IMAC and said we need a new cdrom and hdd. So they installed a new cdrom and 40gb 7200rpm hdd. Yesterday, they tried installing OS 8.1 (the original IMAC cds) and the hard drive would not get recognized. So the tech create 4x10GB partitions and installed the OS fine. However, the comp fails to boot up at all even though it has the OS installed.

The tech even tried the hdd on 2 other MAC's and it works. Is there a conflict with the IMAC 233 and 7200rpm hdd's? I cannot find any info on this problem nor can I find any firmware updated.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
CD
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Straight from the "Apple's" mouth…

Certain Macintosh computers that originally had a hard drive smaller than 8 GB and have subsequently been upgraded with a hard drive larger than 8 GB. The list includes:
iMac 233 MHz
iMac 266 MHz
iMac 333 MHz
Power Macintosh G3 Desktop
Power Macintosh G3 Mini Tower
Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One
PowerBook G3 Series

Solution

1. Back up all data.
2. Start up from your Mac OS installation or restore disc.
3. Use Drive Setup (Mac OS 8 or 9) or Disk Utility (Mac OS X) to partition the drive; make the first partition smaller than 8 GB.
4. Install the Mac OS in the first drive partition.
QUOTE Thanks
milfmann

Many of the older 233 imacs do not recognize the CS enabled jumper setting of the hard drive. I had a similar problem when I installed a new 40GB Maxtor HD in my rev. B bondi blue along with the Panther OS. Everything loaded fine, but I couldn't get the OS to boot. Drive manufacturers claim that most hard drives ship with the master jumper setting as the default, but in my case, the CS enabled setting was the default. Look to see if the jumper pin is in the "master" setting. Once I switched to the master setting, OS 10.3 booted just fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Maximum RAM Size IMac 233 | Can you help me bring it back to life? »