New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

firewire ports


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
thrive_808
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Hello.
this is my first post here, I did a quick search of the forum but did not find any solutions to my problem. hopefully someone here can help me.

I have a G4 500x2 that i have had for a few years now. I love it, alway have, the only problem is my firewire ports are dead. I took it to the apple stroe and they said I need a new logic board. (costing somewhere up to $400 (Whoa)) . Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had an easire solution. Is it possable for me to buy a new logic board and install it myself? Or am i likly to screw up the whole thing. Or maybe there is somebody who lives near NW Connecticut that know what they are doing that could help me out.

Good Lookin Out

DAVIS
QUOTE Thanks
perplexedMac
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Hi Thrive_808,
I work in a corporate environment and we have a few dozen G4 dual mirror units. In particular, we have issues with firewire ports intermittedly working or not. Of course none of our units are under warranty anymore. We have installed IEEE-1394 6-pin port type PCI cards in them to have Firewire once again. The cost under 100.00. The cause: some external equipment having too much power ultimately the demise on the firewire ports. Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

The last two days there have been posts on Macintouch.com about dead firewire ports. They have refered to problems on cubes but today's post noted that the repair also worked on his G4. I've quoted the repair post below.
Badger
-----------------
from www.macintouch.com, cube resuscitation

"Colleen Thompson describes a last-ditch resuscitation of a Mac Cube's FireWire ports:

* I tried all the recommended fixes: zap PRAM a few times, reset Open Firmware a few times, press CUDA button on the motherboard. I even upped the voltage on my Gigadesigns processor upgrade in case it was a lack-of-power issue. No go. Ports were dead-dead-dead in Panther as well as 9.2 (and reported as Defective by Relax's Firewire Browser).
* Then I found an obscure post on cubeowner which reported a "programmer's reset" solved the problem for the poster. I tried it, and voila! I have FireWire again.
* To invoke: Shut down computer, hold down programmer's button, press power button to start up. If the power light flickers you've done it correctly.
* I'd appreciate any enlightenment on the programmer's reset (which of course I've used for firmware updates, but not for any other purpose.) What exactly does it do?"
QUOTE Thanks
neuromancer480
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I have an upgraded G4 Sawtooth. The firewire ports died and I tried all the reset solutions. Nothing worked so i got a Belkin firewire card. Works great.

I noticed a few days ago that my computer sees the dead firewire ports. So I plugd a ipod into it and it worked. When i pluged and external firewire drive it died.

So i got firewire hub (6 port Belkin) and know it work fine with other firewire devices.

Why? I dont know....
QUOTE Thanks
emma random
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
The last two days there have been posts on Macintouch.com about dead firewire ports. They have refered to problems on cubes but today's post noted that the repair also worked on his G4. I've quoted the repair post below.
Badger
-----------------
from www.macintouch.com, cube resuscitation

"Colleen Thompson describes a last-ditch resuscitation of a Mac Cube's FireWire ports:

* I tried all the recommended fixes: zap PRAM a few times, reset Open Firmware a few times, press CUDA button on the motherboard. I even upped the voltage on my Gigadesigns processor upgrade in case it was a lack-of-power issue. No go. Ports were dead-dead-dead in Panther as well as 9.2 (and reported as Defective by Relax's Firewire Browser).
* Then I found an obscure post on cubeowner which reported a "programmer's reset" solved the problem for the poster. I tried it, and voila! I have FireWire again.
* To invoke: Shut down computer, hold down programmer's button, press power button to start up. If the power light flickers you've done it correctly.
* I'd appreciate any enlightenment on the programmer's reset (which of course I've used for firmware updates, but not for any other purpose.) What exactly does it do?"
Does anyone know how to do these on OSX3.2? (ie Zap PRAM, reset Open Firmware, press CUDA button. And is there a Programmer's Button on the mirrored doors G4? If so, where? I'd like to try these fixes before having to spend money to get a PCI slot sorted.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

 
Avalon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2004
Location: Luxemburg, Europe
Posts: 1,779
Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Avalon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma random
Does anyone know how to do these on OSX3.2? (ie Zap PRAM, reset Open Firmware, press CUDA button. And is there a Programmer's Button on the mirrored doors G4? If so, where? I'd like to try these fixes before having to spend money to get a PCI slot sorted.
To zap the PRAM and reset OpenFirmware hasn't anything to do with the OS.
1. Zap PRAM: Press command+option+P+R while starting up, keep it pressed until you heard the chime 3 times, then let go.
2. Reset Firmware: Press command+option+O+F while starting up. You'll have a white screen with a black prompt. type "reset-nvram" (without quotes) and press Enter. Then type "reset-all" (without quotes and pressing Enter again ), then type "mac-boot" to boot the Mac.
The MDD doesn't have a CUDA or programmer's button.

PS: command = key with Apple logo, option = alt key (for those who come from the PC world)
QUOTE Thanks
emma random
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
To zap the PRAM and reset OpenFirmware hasn't anything to do with the OS.
1. Zap PRAM: Press command+option+P+R while starting up, keep it pressed until you heard the chime 3 times, then let go.
2. Reset Firmware: Press command+option+O+F while starting up. You'll have a white screen with a black prompt. type "reset-nvram" (without quotes) and press Enter. Then type "reset-all" (without quotes and pressing Enter again ), then type "mac-boot" to boot the Mac.
The MDD doesn't have a CUDA or programmer's button.

PS: command = key with Apple logo, option = alt key (for those who come from the PC world)
Thanks Avalon, I tried the above and no joy, so I guess I'll have to invest in a PCI Firewire slot. Ho hum!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« G4 733 start up failure | Help Please! Probably a simple question.. »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
dropframe and timecode break capturing via firewire Wu-way OS X - Operating System 2 12-18-2003 05:41 AM
firewire crapped out albenz Other Hardware and Peripherals 3 12-10-2003 08:20 PM
USB ports won't let me start up!! stuntman79 Apple Desktops 4 10-23-2003 03:42 AM
LaCie Firewire sleeps and never wakes up? geppert Other Hardware and Peripherals 1 10-02-2003 11:01 AM
firewire hard drive frank Switcher Hangout 2 09-27-2003 10:31 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?